Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times

Advertisements

I have been tasked with picking a restaurant to "entertain" some business colleagues tomorrow night. With two little ones, I never really get to many "better" restaurants, so I am totally clueless!

Any recommendations would be sooooooooo appreciated. I am fairly certain that at least two colleagues are vegetarians, so steak places are unfortunately out.

So far I've thought of, but have never eaten at:

Vivace, North Hills Mall
Watts Grocery, Durham
Magnolia Grill, Durham
Coquette Brasserie, North Hills Mall (not sure if this would be fancy enough/maybe too loud?)

There are great restaurants in Chapel Hill, but I think that some in my party would consider CH too far.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Nana's and Piedmont are typically good choices for a group with vegetarians...I'll note Piedmont just changed ownership and have a brand new (but nationally known chef), so check to make sure they still offer a selection of vegetarian options. Nana's typically will offer things on the menu without meat when possible, which many other restauraunts will not do.

Mag Grill is fantastic, but quite loud if your group is smaller than 6, and the vegetarian options are very spare unless they eat fish (same ravioli dish for the last decade it seems).

Another good option for a mixed group is Thai Cafe. Not as high end as the others, a bit larger seating area, but very, very good food.

I'll note I haven't eaten at Watt's grocery, as my wife (the vegetarian) wasn't jazzed by what they had on the menu. But I've heard its good, at least for omnivores.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
IMO Coquette Brasserie wouldn't be a great place for a business dinner.

Are "regular" restaurants which serve vegetarian dishes an option? Is seafood a possibility?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Magnolia Grill is LOUD. I'd skip it for a business dinner.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Magnolia Grill is LOUD. I'd skip it for a business dinner.
Agreed. I've been there for business dinners, and it was impossible to hear much of the table conversation if you weren't right next to or across from the person.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:03 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Are "regular" restaurants which serve vegetarian dishes an option? Is seafood a possibility?
Definitely an option. So is seafood.

We are leaving from RTP and many of my group lives in N. Raleigh. The out-of-towners are staying at a hotel near RTP. I was thinking that CH would be too far from N. Raleigh for those that live there. I was also hoping to avoid downtown Raleigh as it would be rush hour.

Thanks so much for the tips so far, especially about the Magnolia Grill. I've heard awesome things about it, but sounds like it would not be great for this situation.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
What about Marguax's? It's good and it would fit your geographic requirements. Raleigh Restaurant for Private Dining, Catering, Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners, Corporate Events

Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
Based on location and proximity to RTP I would suggest the Angus Barn - cocktails in the Wild Turkey Lounge before dinner will get everyone relaxed

Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 PM

305 posts, read 761,441 times
I would 2nd Piedmont. Great place, and their August menu shows two vegetarian entrees + two fish dishes.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I would strongly recommend against Thai Cafe (great food, but not quite up to par for a business dinner) and Angus Barn (most overpriced, overrated food in the Triangle). Plus, out-of-towners seem to find Angus on their own (too bad for them) so as a local you should seek out a better and lesser-known gem.

I'll add Revolution to the already good list of places I've seen recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary