Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times

Advertisements

You're going to find racists everywhere you go. No more in NC than anywhere else. I experienced a lot of racism in Florida, but it may have been the area I was in. You should come for a visit and get a feel for the place. There are a lot of transplants from all over the world that live here. I don't think anyone would have a problem with your German accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD King View Post
I don't care if I have to repeat myself as long the one doen't hate me for my accent.
I'm just sitting here wondering what a German accent has to do with race in the South.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev5778 View Post
I think you are probably more likely to be flirted with for having an exotic accent than if you talked like the majority of North Carolinians.

Don't worry, if you give out friendliness, you will certainly get it back! Don't ever take it personally if someone asks you to repeat something you say as that happens all the time with native speakers here. Some North Carolinians have thicker Southern accents than others. I have to ask people to repeat things at work all the time.

Ignore the stereotypes and wide sweeping generalizations. Sure, you may encounter an ignorant, closed-minded racist, but that can happen anywhere. For every 1 jackass like that, you will very likely find 10 more people who believe that diversity enriches a community and who embrace being exposed to different cultures, nationalities, and ethnicities.
And some North Carolinians have thick Northern accents.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 PM

346 posts, read 613,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Looking for cooler weather you might want to look to Asheville. This has been a hot summer this year, and I am one who likes it warm. We had a month or more with temps over 90 degrees, and many of those days were over 100. It is not the norm, but it has sure been hot this year.
Are you kidding me?...its been more like 75 days of 90+ and a couple weeks of 100s' if you add in the heat index.
Now about racism...I dont believe its any more prevalent here in NC than anywhere else...In fact i'd wager I've encountered more racism in NJ than I have here..But I've only lived here 10 months thus far...however this area is alot more race tolerant than the old stereotyppes would suggest. There was a time when certain towns boasted their pride in being racist but if its still here (and it is) it has gone more underground...so to say.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM

109 posts, read 343,161 times
Default I thought you were kidding!

Wow! At first I thought you were kidding!

No, I don't think you will have any problem here.
I was at lunch the other day with a group of three friends. They were from Germany, Vietnam and India. I am from the US Midwest. That is what the Triangle looks like. You would love it here.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
Quote:
Was it a dry heat or very humidly like here when you go outside for a minute your clothes are wet like fresh from the washing machine?
I think this year we had a mix of humidity. As someone pointed out to me the heat was hotter than I may have stated, but than again as I said I lot heat just not 100 degree heat.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Was it a dry heat or very humidly like here when you go outside for a minute your clothes are wet like fresh from the washing machine?
Maybe I can help with this question. I have homes in both Miami and Raleigh. When Raleigh gets super hot, it's usually a lot drier than when it's normal temps. That said, both the regular Summer days and the super hot Summer days feel drier to me than a typical Summer day in Florida. This is especially true at night. There will be many more pleasant Summer nights in NC than their are in most of Florida.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM

306 posts, read 436,574 times
Default The Hoff

You will be fine with a German accent.

Where you might have a problem is if you confess to being a David Hasselhoff fan.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 PM

308 posts, read 967,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't think anyone would hate you for an accent.

If you moved here, here are at least 424 people who wouldn't laugh at your accent:

The Raleigh-Durham German Language Meetup Group (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup
Great, but the people on the pic look so old.

I got this here all around me. Avarage age is 60.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM

308 posts, read 967,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
You will be fine with a German accent.

Where you might have a problem is if you confess to being a David Hasselhoff fan.

Yes. I’ve been lookin’ for freedom!

Why is everyone thinking every German likes Hasselhoff? I had this when I lived in Alabama all day long. Weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary