Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone....so we will be making our 2nd trip down in august.....YEHHHH ! I'm soooo happy !

We've narrowed it down to Clayton as of now with alot of help and input from you all....but as I mentioned in previous posts I can't just make that decision without researching other areas, and unfortunately I believe with my requirements I've exhaused the triangle area.

I've been researching the triad area and a couple of areas that seem to fit what we are looking for and will be taking a look there also on our trip.

Unfortunately the greensboro/w-s forum just doesnt seem to get as much action by any means and the raleigh forum does. so I haven't gotten as much input as I have here.

So since I am basically between clayton and possibly clemmons/kernersville/wallburg area....I thought I'd see if anyone may be familiar with the area and can shed some light on it for me prior to our visit.....

Pros' con's, community feel, schools or whatever you have to offer....

Please keep in mind that commuting is not an issue but we do want to be within 10/15 of basic shopping and needs..

Once again I thank you all in advance..

-Suzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
It really depends on you. While Clayton is still small, there are so many people from around the country moving there, which brings with it many advantages, culturally, socially, and economically. It's basically become a suburb of Raleigh where residents enjoy a quiet, suburban, polished quality of life while still having the benefit of more cultured and exciting activities from around the Triangle.

IMO, the triad towns you are looking at are still very much rural NC towns, with much stronger roots to NC heritage although they may be seeing growth as well. I don't know a whole lot about the schools in that area, but I do not believe they probably hold a candle to Clayton schools right now.
In all honesty, most NC schools are pretty bad outside of the major metro areas like the triangle and Charlotte. I would put Clayton's schools way before I'd consider Clemmons/Wallburg.
BUT, it all depends on you and the type of town you will be comfortable in. If you like small town, rural NC, then check out the triad towns. If you'd like something a little more cultured and less traditional NC, I'd look at Clayton.
Personally (and this is MY preference) I'd pick Clayton over those areas anyday.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-24-2008 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 PM

No I do appreciate it.....so then Clayton you feel is more advanced if you will than the triad area? Honestly that is what I'm actually trying to figure out...

I know coming from Long island we have very strong schooling here and I know it will be different wherever we go, but I definately dont want to set the boys back.....I would hope to find an area that can offer some of what we are leaving educationally wise.....but if its a huge difference that could be harmful by no means is that what we want...

As I mentioned I know nothing about the triad area other than what I've seen online to compare to Clayton so thats why I was asking.....

and as I said its unfortunately been a little difficult to get feedback and not as easy as it has here.....

I would definatley love to hear others opinions if possible....

thank you lamishra

-suzanne

Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Clayton is definitely more "advanced" than the small towns surrounding the triad.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 PM

i'm glad you wrote "advanced"...I had done that with another sentence I wrote but had deleted it...

Unfortunately I dont know how else to put it.....ya know....but its definately what I was getting at....not to put down any other are but obviously some areas are growing within the outskirts of the cities that are growing and they are "advancing" more than others and faster than others......

I know there are the school sites to check the school ratings do you know if you can do comparisons of schools on any of them.....(put in 2 names and see what the differences are)

I havent tried it and just thought of it..... just curious...

I appreciate your help....

Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Pros of the Triangle over the Triad
Jobs mainly
The Triad is about the only metro that has not seen major transplant growth in this state as the other metros have and mainly due to job availability and variety of jobs.
The area tends to have more blue collar jobs than white collar.

Arts, cultural events, night life are more abundant in the Triangle.

Home are priced house for same square footage on average are higher in the Triangle than the triad
Traffic is alot more heavy in the Triangle
Most of the triad 3 cities roads are well ahead of the other metros in this state far interstate travel.
You probably can get alot more home and acerage in the triad.
Southern charm is thriving in the triad.

Wallburg is an excellent choice and smart choice.
It located right in middle between the other big cities of the triad
From Wallburg Greensboro, High Point, and Winston Salem are all within 10 minutes
It is in Davidson County . Ledford Schools which has a great reputation serves Wallburg. The city is newly incorporated so no fears of it being annexed.
Do to it location in a rural setting you can have nice pleasure of a mixture of city life and rural life with Cicadas singing in your back yard.

Clemmons and Kernersville are other good choice. I like Clemmons but for me due to where it situated your only near Winston Salem the other two you sort of have to drive.
Kernersville has alot of the great features that Wallburg has due to location and both are close to each but Kernersville is alot more advance with growth.

Wallburg Schools
Wallburg Elementary
Ledford Middle
Ledford Senior High

If you click on each link then click each tab it will give you school performance, teacher performance, and student performance and rank them to see if they are at or below district or state average.
I just check all three schools and they all dominate above the district and state level

I cannot comment on Clayton for comparison since I never been there.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:13 AM

Default thank you sunny

I did find a development called meadowlands which is made up of around 8 or so subdivisions within the wallburg/ledford school district and seems to be what we are looking for.....which we will be taking a look at....

as i said honestly the schools really are the most important factor along with being in a safe and comfortable area....

we spend so much time taking the kids to all their sports and other activities that we rarely get time to ourselves to enjoy adult outings at this point and will have a long time before that will happen again especially after the move since we will have no family there....

we definatley don't want to be far out and away from the community....the boys are used to riding their bikes to friends homes so a development that offers close proximity to others is important.....

we are planning to take a look at the above areas and then go back to clayton to take another look and see what happens,

Sunny :
? though I know that there are ample jobs in the medical field in the triangle but how does it far in the triad? I have a neighbor that is contemplating moving and might actually meet up with us while we are down there and her husband is a emregency room nurse in a local hospital here

thanks for the information I do appreciate it...

Old 07-25-2008, 06:02 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
Jimnsue - I am from LI and moved to NC 6 years ago. Are you looking for a 100% different living experience than LI? If you want to be with more people from all over the country(NY included) I would pick Clayton (although that would not be my first choice in this area). If you want to be with more local people, whereas you will most likely meet people born and bred in NC then the Triad is for you.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
As Long Islanders you may want to consider the Triangle's closer proximity to I-95 and the coast. The fact that RDU is served by multiple air carriers with far more frequent flights than the Triad's airport will make it easier and cheaper or friends and family to visit.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
I've lived in Clemmons (K-3), Winston-Salem (4-12), Raleigh (college), Cary and Apex (post-college life). Still have most of my family around Winston.

I found the W-S area a great place to grow up. I thought the schools I attended were excellent, but I was in the GT program, which isolated be from the riff-raff. There were certainly some bad schools in the area, too. My half-sister is much younger than me and went to schools around Clemmons that were very good.

Winston has some lovely older neighborhoods. I found the city very easy to get around when I lived there. I could ride a bike most anywhere, and the way the roads were laid out, was not forced to a major road like I am here.

But the town is fairly, well, boring. Nowhere near the amount of things to do as here. Less decent restaurants (although they have better BBQ!), very little in the way of nightlife, not much in the way of music venues, etc.

When I was growing up in Winston, Reynolds, Hanes, and other companies were still local and thriving. The town took a huge nosedive when Reynolds moved its HQ. Then Hanes got bought by SaraLee. Textile and Furniture manufacturers in the area have shut factories. The area is hanging on, but it is a tough environment. Lot like the scores of good jobs here.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary