Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

Cary drivers ranked 19th safest in U.S., better than Durham, Raleigh

"The average driver in Cary will be involved in a car crash every 11.3 years, according to Allstate. In comparison, the average Durham driver will be in a wreck every 10.3 years and the average Raleigh driver will go an average of 9.7 years between automobile collisions."

I wonder if they check with city-data on this. We sure have a lot of people posting on the forum looking to get out of speeding tickets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
It doesn't make sense. None of them signal They also love gliding through to make right turns at stop signs and stop lights. I feel like I never saw that in N. Raleigh, but I could be wrong.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Is it just me or does it seem like it's gotten really bad the number of cars that will pull right out in front of you while you are driving down the road? IMO, it seems like in just the past few years I'll be cruising down the road and here comes a car not making a complete stop on a side street so they can pull right out causing me to brake hard to avoid a crash and there won't even be any cars behind me.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
I'm sure my husband would give a big "I don't think so!" to this. He drove all over Cary working for C-Tran for a year and a half and he was ALWAYS complaining about the scary driving habits he saw (not so in Durham). So many people darted out in front of his bus like he could stop on a dime. Yeah, and many of them were yacking on their cell phones in the process. His driving stint really did force him to appreciate the dangers of distracted driving.

Of course those stats don't account for the near misses.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Weird! I worked in Durham for years and found drivers there to be less aggressive than Raleigh's and Cary's. I think b/c there is less congestion. And, they used their turn signals and let you in traffic instead of trying to run you over or cut you off to save :3 seconds.

I think there must be less accidents in Cary b/c ppl have to drive slow if they aren't familiar with the area, as you have to squint your eyes just right to look thru the trees to see the teeny store signs. Which are all in one color (it seems). I was on Davis near Highhouse last week and the week before, and while I wasn't looking for McDonalds, I felt sorry for mom's trying to find one. The sign in the strip shopping entrance was either green or grey? and so small I couldn't tell what it was until I was very close to the entrance. Still, driving by it, I had no clue where in the strip it was. i think the sign control has gone too far. The McD one I saw looked like a no littering or even no loitering sign

Actually to be fair, the only crazy driving I've seen in Cary is on Maynard and then around Crossroads...shudder.

I believe the stats for Raleigh. Folks shooting across 3-4 lanes of traffic to make a turn. Turning onto a main street when they want to and not when conditions are the safest, like when you've driving by them, they wait until you are almost on them and then they pull out. What's with this chicken game?

I wonder now that the roundabouts are on Hillsborough St if the stats will change

Last edited by RaleighLass; 09-04-2010 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
This baffles me, too, as I am quite certain that I cause all sorts of problems trying to get around in Cary. The no-signage laws make it a prettier place to shop but unless you KNOW where the store you want is located precisely, you have to do a lot of weird slowing and looking.

Of course, on the other hand is Capital, which just about makes me insane with all the signage--very distracting!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
This baffles me, too, as I am quite certain that I cause all sorts of problems trying to get around in Cary. The no-signage laws make it a prettier place to shop but unless you KNOW where the store you want is located precisely, you have to do a lot of weird slowing and looking.

Of course, on the other hand is Capital, which just about makes me insane with all the signage--very distracting!
Then this makes two of us driving this way in Cary

Yes, Capital is information overload isn't it?! But, the good news is, they are working on it. In no time you won't recognise Capital. And the older bldgs near the flea market mall will be transformed soon. Probably one by one, but it's getting ready to start, one should begin this fall. There are quite a few outside co's that have been eyeing Raleigh for some time. We will see interesting changes downtown next year if the economy doesn't sputter. I have this from a very knowledgable source

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Yes, you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
It doesn't make sense. None of them signal They also love gliding through to make right turns at stop signs and stop lights. I feel like I never saw that in N. Raleigh, but I could be wrong.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Seems to me that since there is a list of the worst intersections that it should make it easy to fix and thus, less accidents!!!

Beware of getting in and out of Crossroads! Beware of the intersections of Lead Mine and Glenwood and Creedmoor and Glenwood. Those 4 lanes turning into 3 seem to confuse lots of people!!!

Vicki

Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,936 times
This news doesn't surprise me at all. And don't argue with actuaries -- they're second only to Old Testament prophets in their prognosticative abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary