Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times

Advertisements

Manpower: Hiring outlook brighter in Raleigh-Cary than in Durham - Triangle Business Journal:

Not bashing...just relaying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Isn't Manpower largely a TEMP service? If their business is going UP, it could well mean that permanent employment opportunities are shrinking.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Isn't Manpower largely a TEMP service? If their business is going UP, it could well mean that permanent employment opportunities are shrinking.
Yes they are, but I do not believe that their survey is about employers hiring temps, it's about whether or not employers will be hiring. Also, I believe the temp market tends to take off prior to an employment recovery although I have no idea whether we're anywhere near that right now.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Look behind the survey results.

Two things:

1. A percentage of Durham employers say they are pessimistic and will be having reductions.

The employers in Durham have many more EMPLOYEES (especially in RTP) than Raleigh does. So the number of actual EMPLOYEES affected by the reductions will be higher in Durham than Raleigh.

2. What difference does it make if a higher percentage of Raleigh employers are more optimistic than Durham? As TRIANGLE employees, we can potentially work in either city. The commute isn't that bad. Most of the time, I have worked in Durham, and I live in Raleigh.

So to me, it's a non-issue. Who cares if Raleigh is more optimistic and will have fewer reductions than Durham? It's nice to hear ANY employer is optimistic, but Raleigh's optimism in relation to Durham -- so what? (And I love Raleigh. )

And in the IT world, much of the work is contract. That's just the way they have done things -- for years. They hire for projects.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM

69 posts, read 156,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Look behind the survey results.

Two things:

1. A percentage of Durham employers say they are pessimistic and will be having reductions.

The employers in Durham have many more EMPLOYEES (especially in RTP) than Raleigh does. So the number of actual EMPLOYEES affected by the reductions will be higher in Durham than Raleigh.

2. What difference does it make if a higher percentage of Raleigh employers are more optimistic than Durham? As TRIANGLE employees, we can potentially work in either city. The commute isn't that bad. Most of the time, I have worked in Durham, and I live in Raleigh.

So to me, it's a non-issue. Who cares if Raleigh is more optimistic and will have fewer reductions than Durham? It's nice to hear ANY employer is optimistic, but Raleigh's optimism in relation to Durham -- so what? (And I love Raleigh. )

And in the IT world, much of the work is contract. That's just the way they have done things -- for years. They hire for projects.
RTP is in neither our city of Raleigh or their city of Durham. Durham has more employess than Raleigh? I find that hard to believe. I am with you on what difference does it make on which city has more, but I have read a lot of posts where one side likes to toot their own horn precisely because of the numbers. It makes no difference. Most people commute.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
RTP is in neither our city of Raleigh or their city of Durham. Durham has more employess than Raleigh? I find that hard to believe. I am with you on what difference does it make on which city has more, but I have read a lot of posts where one side likes to toot their own horn precisely because of the numbers. It makes no difference. Most people commute.
The article is not talking about the city of Raleigh v. the city of Durham. It's talking about MSAs so anything in Durham County (as well as Orange, Chatham and Person counties) are in the Durham MSA. That includes RTP.

Last edited by sls76; 06-09-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Durham has RTP. Raleigh does not have an RTP.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:25 PM

69 posts, read 156,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Durham has RTP. Raleigh does not have an RTP.
That is incorrect. The cities of Durham and Raleigh do not have one inch of RTP. The counties of Durham and Wake both have part of RTP. Please research it to understand how it was developed and divided up. It is very interesting.

To the prevoius poster about metro areas - I understand that. I was just commenting on how it seems to matter to some people who live where the number is better than the other when it really doesn't matter because a lot of people travel from one area to another to work. The Raleigh metro area could have a better unemployment number than the Durham metro area, but if you live in Durham and travel to Raleigh for work it doesn't matter to you which one is better. I am with lovebrentwood on this.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Well overall, it doesn't really mean much anyway. Let's not get into a pissing match over who's metro is feeling better about hiring more

Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 PM

So when Manpower surveys companies in Durham and Raleigh, who is including RTP companies? They went with MRSA, and I think RTP was included with Durham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
That is incorrect. The cities of Durham and Raleigh do not have one inch of RTP. The counties of Durham and Wake both have part of RTP. Please research it to understand how it was developed and divided up. It is very interesting.

To the prevoius poster about metro areas - I understand that. I was just commenting on how it seems to matter to some people who live where the number is better than the other when it really doesn't matter because a lot of people travel from one area to another to work. The Raleigh metro area could have a better unemployment number than the Durham metro area, but if you live in Durham and travel to Raleigh for work it doesn't matter to you which one is better. I am with lovebrentwood on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary