Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:50 AM

41 posts, read 223,605 times

Advertisements

I'm definitely going to have Lasik surgery in the near future and I've seen post for reputable surgeons, but I'm interested in how much people are paying (and where they're going). It seems most require a consultation before they'll discuss cost. I don't want to have to go to too many consultation to compare pricing. I went in for a consultation a few years ago before moving back to the area and was told I was a candidate for the procedure.

Don't worry, my goal is not to simply find the cheapest! Just want to know what folks are paying for the best surgeons so I can get an idea of how I'll be paying for it and how soon I'll have it done.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
My wife had it done last summer (although not in NC), and the cost for both her eyes was about $4000. She had a pretty serious correction, so if the correction is less, the cost might be less. In general, she seems quite happy with the result, although she does still get dry eyes and have some vision problems indoors even after a year.

I assume there are plenty of good physicians that offer this service in the Triangle area for a similar price.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
In general, she seems quite happy with the result, although she does still get dry eyes and have some vision problems indoors even after a year.
This is why even though I'm blind as a bat, I won't get the surgery. While most people do fine, I'm afraid I'd be in the "not fine" group. I've been wearing contact lenses for so long it's like second nature to me. Now that I'm getting older (ugh!) I'm becoming farsighted.. so I'd be wearing glasses anyhow! Too bad it doesn't cancel out the nearsightedness!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
This is why even though I'm blind as a bat, I won't get the surgery. While most people do fine, I'm afraid I'd be in the "not fine" group. I've been wearing contact lenses for so long it's like second nature to me. Now that I'm getting older (ugh!) I'm becoming farsighted.. so I'd be wearing glasses anyhow! Too bad it doesn't cancel out the nearsightedness!
You are wise!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
All I can recommend is Christanbury (sp) in Charlotte - when I had mine first done
in 1999, he was the best in the state, and the surgery went well - for $2000 an eye, but I had bad vision and astigmatisms.

I had a touch up in 2004 as my vision slipped from 15/20 to 30/20 for $500, and with the new technology, the procedure was painless and I've had good vision ever since. Either way, I recommend it - not having glasses is priceless!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM

338 posts, read 613,832 times
In Istanbul, Turkey both eyes for $500
They are proffesional!!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Don't do it. Complications are rare but tragic.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I was moderately nearsighted with an astigmatism with dry eyes. I had given up on wearing contacts most of the time b/c they wreaked havoc on my eyes. Finally took the plunge almost 5 years ago and had the procedure at TLC Vision in Raleigh. My goal was to see well enough that I no longer required glasses for my outdoor pursuits like skiing and mountaineering. Mission accomplished. I'm now just a 1/4 diopter off in both eyes with a slight astigmatism. I have glasses and use them mostly for computer work and night driving, though I don't require them for either. My biggest concern was the dry eyes, and for the first 6 months post-op my eyes were quite dry. The next 6 months were better, and after a year the dryness was almost gone. Its so much better now that I don't have dry eyes any longer!

I spent $4200 total for both eyes, which at the time covered an "enhanced" procedure for mapping the surface of the eye...I'd imagine now that's standard.

I also have a family member that works for Christianbury in Charlotte and have heard good things about them from her.

As for the "don't do it, complications are rare but tragic" sorts of comments, well, the same could be said about driving your car, taking ibuprofen or going for a walk in the woods. Without risk, there is no reward.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM

331 posts, read 1,311,466 times
Wow prices are high here. In California I paid $2500 for both eyes, had astigmatism in both eyes, was borderline legally blind and now I have 20/10 vision and have never regretted having it done. I do need reading glasses for up close work like reading labels or threading a needle but thats old age...lol lasik cant stop that!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 AM

353 posts, read 1,367,097 times
Do a lot of research before you do it. BUT, I think is was a great decision for me. I was extremely nearsighted (-11/-13 in contacts). I STILL don't wear glasses/contacts 8 years later (I did mine at TLC in NY it was $5k then). Find a reputable place that does your vision (especially if you have very bad vision). But, if you really want it, don't be too scared. Odds are way higher that you will be fine versus having complications and the better the doctor the better your odds. Don't skimp on the price, it is your health you are paying for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary