Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,776 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've used CD for my previous moves, and am hoping it will make this new transition just as easy. I've been offered a job in RTP and really have no clue about the area in terms of housing. I'm single and young, so I'd like to rent closer to a city. I've heard good things about Durham. Do you all have any recommendation about areas in/around Durham? FWIW, I'm not opposed to living in another city besides Durham (i.e Raleigh), so I'm really open to any recommendations. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 02:19 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
Durham is a lot of fun! If you're a sports/cultural arts fan, the area around the baseball park has some cool apartments and there seems to be a relatively good night life happening. Not sure about crime stats for the area.

Unfortunately I'm now a suburbanite (sigh) but Boylan Heights used to be a great hangout place for young singles. Cameron Park is really nice. I don't know about rentals, though.

Cary and Morrisville (RTP's immediate neighbors) and the Leesville Rd. areas are heavily suburban, but Brier Creek might have something that interests you--plus it's pretty accessible to RTP, downtown, etc.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:05 PM

annesg,

Thanks for giving me a starting point. It's also good to hear that Durham is a good area for young singles. Would you happen to have an idea of rental prices for apartments near the ballpark? I'd be looking at 2 bedroom/2 bath types. Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 PM

217 posts, read 445,885 times
The commute from downtown Raleigh to RTP wouldn't be the greatest - it's doable but it depends on what you're used to. I know a lot of people wouldn't want to do it.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,000 times
Hello,
Here are some links to some of the apartments around downtown:

American Tobacco Living < Old Bull apartments, literally right next door to the ball park, and a part of the American Tobacco Campus
West Village - Historic Urban Lofts - Durham, NC < West Village, sandwiched between the Brightleaf Sqiare area amd downtown (both are within easy walking distance)

There are a few other newly renovated apartments around downtown, but a lot of the focus has been owner-occupied. I would say that crime is not an issue in either of these complexes. They both have 24/7 security that patrol, and since they are mixed use areas there will always be folks walking around. Also, both are really conveinent to the Durham Freeway, and just 10 minutes away from the heart of the park.

In terms of cost, I hear that a 2 bedroom in West Village costs around $1050 a month, but I'm not sure on this. There are a lot of much cheaper apartments, and houses for rent, around downtown as well.

I would definitely recommend coming and checking the area out. The downtown Marriott would be the best place to stay, to get a true feel for downtown living. Unfortunately, it is our only downtown hotel right now, but a second boutique hotel will be open in 2 years (construction is starting before June).

If you have any questions about stuff to do downtown, feel free to ask or message me.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 AM

317 posts, read 1,513,955 times
I'm a 24 year old female moving to Raleigh next week. I got a job at Duke University Hospital as a Nurse. The Nurse Recruiter and HR lady warned me not to move to Durham. High crime rate, and generally not a good area to live in. I also have 2 friends in Raleigh who advised me to stay away from Durham.

I know all the Durham fans will come and tear me apart for saying this but please do some research or at the LEAST-visit the area first before deciding. I came down to visit in July and Durham just wasn't the area for me. I could tell from one visit. So Raleigh it is. If you think of moving to Raleigh - check out the Camden Manor Park apartments - gorgeous!! PM me for more info on any of this.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I believe the company I'll be working for is willing to put me up for a short while while I get my bearings.

hkrn44, just a quick question, what was it the turned you off from Durham? I understand crime would be a major issue, was it just that or a combination of factors? Price really isn't a major factor, as I can finally afford a nice place after many years of getting by on a graduate student stipend in a much more expensive location .

Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 PM

76 posts, read 195,018 times
Hey OP. I think you are doing something good by keeping your options open about where to live when relocating and honestly if your company will put you up for a little to get settled in and feel your way around I would do that. Durham is a great place and not for everyone and that is VERY clear on this board if nowhere else. You have a lot of folks on this board (like a previous poster in this thread) that have NO clue what the Durham area is about, so I ask of you to form your OWN opinion by researching for yourself. As far as areas around the ballpark, there is the American Tobacco Apartments, West Village Apartment (both downtown), Station Nine Apartments off Ninth St. and Lofts at Lakeview and Erwin Terrace Apartments near Duke University Hospital. I would also suggest looking into areas in South Durham around Southpoint Mall, very nice but suburban area.

SN: Take a look at the blog BullCityRising.com, there was a recent post about the duality of Durham and how it is seen in the eyes of many who live in the Triangle but not Durham. I think reading this blog will give you a very REAL look into Durham.
Anyway, good luck.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:59 PM

That blog was just the sort of information I was looking for. Thanks a lot for sending me the link! After the brief read, it sounds as though Durham might have some of the same issues that exist in Houston, where I'll be moving from. I also want to thank everyone else for providing their feedback.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:43 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
I have a cousin who is originally from Winston-Salem, moved to DC; then her employer moved her to California. They were there for a few years and then, were moved back to North Carolina. She moved to Cary, but said it didn't fit her and her family's lifestyle so they bought in Durham (not sure of the Neighborhood). She loves Durham, the culture, the feel of a real city and the diversity of the area. I'll have to find out exactly where she lives. I do believe they send their only child to Private school, though. But bottom line, she is die-hard Durham!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary