Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

I'm not dumping on servers and others who have to work the holiday. I have members of my immediate family who will not be at our Thanksgiving table because they are working. I fully agree these workers should be treated with respect and people should show some gratitude (as always). What I disagree with is the notion that it's somehow the customer's responsibility to manage these individuals' holiday work schedule and compensation.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
What I disagree with is the notion that it's somehow the customer's responsibility to manage these individuals' holiday work schedule and compensation.
Well, it's always the customers responsibility to manage the servers compensation. You pay the restaurant for the food. You pay the server separately for the service. Servers don't get a paycheck...at all. There is a nominal payment ($2/hr) that covers the taxes (the government wants to make sure they get that!) but there is no actual paycheck. We used to get a check that said *VOID*, but nothing you could deposit. The tips are averaged based on sales so the government gets their cut of 10% of the servers sales even if the server doesn't make that much in tips. And in many cases part of their tips go to paying the other service staff (bus-people and hosts). So they don't even get to keep all of the tips they are given.

I don't think this is a hijack. I think it's a very timely reminder for people intending to eat out for the holidays. This is not common knowledge. Many people have no idea how restaurants work. Most people don't know you are actually hiring a servant that is not being paid by the facility, but by you, the customer.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,685 times
The cafeteria at Cameron Village is open from 11am until 7pm. You can also take out dinner for 18-20 for $99,99; dinner for 8 - $49.99.

The Burger King on Hillborough is open until 7pm.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:15 PM

98 posts, read 231,804 times
Lucky 32 in Cary is open 3-8

They still have reservations available as they just sent an email today saying so.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:26 AM

117 posts, read 255,474 times
This post is especially helpful to folks like me who just relocated here and have no family or friends. SO THANK YOU!

Boston Market is open 11am - 7pm for those interested. The little one and I ordered a spread and we're gonna take advantage of the "us" time with stuffing ourselves and some movies and playing!!! We are very thankful!

Enjoy the time all!

Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,616 times
Had a wonderful brunch at Crossroads at Carolina Inn. Service was excellent. Tipped 25% on a big bill, but lingered plenty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary