Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 02:20 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,044 times

Advertisements

I-540 will be open all the way to NC 55 by the end of the week. The traffic signals at NC 55 and I-540 are going through their test runs now.

Does anyone know where on hwy 55 will be the connection to I-540???

I work near the corner of hwy 55 & 54, trying to figure out if it would be an easier route to take for work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 02:30 PM

17 posts, read 47,516 times
Here is the text from a post we did on [DELETED - Advertising web site --MOD] I hope this answers all of your questions.

Thank you!

Summertime brings with it plenty of road construction in the Triangle. To let you know the main projects that are occurring, here is a summary of them by county, based on information provided by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and its Construction Progress Report (ProgLocSearch (broken link)). Keep in mind that there also is work happening within town limits of many Triangle cities that are not included as part of the NCDOT tally.

Wake – The NCDOT is holding to Aug. 1 as the completion date for the newest portion of Interstate 540 (I-540 - WCR) stretching southwest approximately eight miles from the interchange with Interstate 40 just west of Raleigh-Durham International Airport (Raleigh-Durham International Airport) to N.C. 55. A month before that (July 1), the widening of N.C. 55 to four lanes from north of the U.S. 64 interchange in Apex (Town of Apex: Apex, NC) into Durham County should be completed after four years of work, thus helping with traffic flow on that road too. Theoretically these improvements should save at least five to 10 minutes driving time between the airport and southwestern Wake including Apex and Holly Springs (Town of Holly Springs, NC), plus ease some congestion at Research Triangle Park during peak driving times.

Wake’s other big road construction involves I-40 south of Raleigh, where a bypass of U.S. 70, also being called the Clayton Bypass (NCDOT: US 70 Clayton Bypass), will run from the interstate and rejoin the present U.S. 70 in Johnston County after 17 miles are finished. Work began on the $123 million-plus project in June 2005 and is expected to be done by June 15, 2009.

Durham – Here is where the activity with the most impact on drivers is occurring right now. Due to botched previous instructions, Interstate 40 is being repaved from where it widens to three lanes on each side at Exit 270 (U.S. 15-501 between Durham and Chapel Hill) to the merge with N.C. 147, better known as the Durham Freeway. This $21 million-plus project has been moving pretty much on pace despite a few nighttime showers that slowed work on a few weekends, and most of what needed to be done initially in the eastbound lanes has now been complete, meaning the westbound ones will face backups the next few nights. For more information on the situation, read this article (newsobserver.com | I-40 westbound lanes due to close (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/growth/traffic/story/599461.html - broken link)).

Also, work on widening, paving and grading more than six miles of N.C. 54 heading into Wake County in Research Triangle Park (Research Triangle Park) began Feb. 19 and will be finished by Nov. 1, 2009. The $35 million project may be finished before that date, as it already is running well ahead of its scheduled progress. The NCDOT has contracts for shoulder reconstruction and resurfacing on other parts of N.C. 54 plus U.S. 15-501, as well as widening N.C. 98 from east of its intersection with U.S. 70 for nearly half a mile, but no construction has occurred on these spots as of this writing.

Orange – Not much going on here right now except for an extended intersection called a superstreet that is designed to be an improvement to the congested intersection of U.S. 15-501 (U.S. Route 15-501 in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and Erwin Road in what is being called the Europa Drive Superstreet Project (NCDOT- Chapel Hill US 15-501 and Erwin Road/Europa Drive Intersection Improvements (http://www.ncdot.org/projects/Superstreet/ - broken link)). The estimated date of completion is Oct. 31 of this year, however the last estimate in late May found the project running somewhat behind schedule. Nevertheless, NCDOT has not announced a revised completion date, so apparently they believe they can make up the difference over the next few weeks or months and be finished on time.

Last edited by Bull City Rising; 07-05-2007 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM

146 posts, read 691,197 times
By the end of the week? That's great news, we've been looking forward to it!

540 will connect to 55 right near Okelly-Chapel Rd (the intersection of OKelly Chapel and 55 isn't on Google maps yet - it's south of the intersection with Kit Creek Rd).

There's also going to be an exit on Davis Dr which might work for you as well (I have no idea how crowded that section of Davis is).

If you look at NC-55 @35.842260, -78.887940 - Google Maps
the green marker is in the approximate location

Last edited by MrsBTA; 07-03-2007 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary