Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2007, 08:57 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times

Advertisements

The western and southern portions of I540 are still a long way from being completed. I'd estimate 5-10 years for the western portion from US55 in RTP to US55 at Holly Springs, and 10-20 years for the southern portion from US55 in Holly Springs to 401 in Garner. However, NCDOT has proposed right-of-way drawings on its website that show where they think it will be routed.

My poll question is this: Would you buy a house that, according to NCDOT plans, would/might be next to (within 1/4 mile) the proposed I540 in the year 2025? Why, or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
The western and southern portions of I540 are still a long way from being completed. I'd estimate 5-10 years for the western portion from US55 in RTP to US55 at Holly Springs, and 10-20 years for the southern portion from US55 in Holly Springs to 401 in Garner. However, NCDOT has proposed right-of-way drawings on its website that show where they think it will be routed.

My poll question is this: Would you buy a house that, according to NCDOT plans, would/might be next to (within 1/4 mile) the proposed I540 in the year 2025? Why, or why not?
I would consider homes that were close to I-540. I would not want to be on a street where my backyard backed up to I-540, but I would not minde being withint 1/4 mile of the road. I was concerned about this back when I was looking at Houses this past summer in the Planters Walk Subdivision out in Knightdale. The newest section of I-540 cuts right throug the development bisecting an older and newer portion of the neighborhood. Initially I was wary of being so close but that section of I-540 wasn't open yet so I couldn't jusde the noise factor. In the end we choose to buy somewhere else for unrelated reasons, but I have been back to Planters Walk since the new Section of I-540 openend and I can barely hear the noise from the part of the neighborhood we were considering. Again....I wouldn't want to back up to the highway, but being close would not concern me and I aould think it be a plus as far as commuting goes.

One thing I would consider is whether or not the exit from your subdivision would require a right or left hand turn out of the neighborhood to head towards I-540. Most likely any road leading to I-540 will see heavier traffic in the future and I would hate to have to make left hand turns out into that traffic each day to get to I-540 unless there was a traffic light at the intersection. This is a big complaint for folks living in Bedford in N. Raleigh who need top turn left onto Falls of Neuse Road every morning to get to I-540.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:52 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Thanks for the response NRG. Good points to think about.

I lived within 1/4 mile of a 6-lane toll road in Dallas. The convenience was fantastic, but you could always hear the "white noise" from the traffic. Since it was a toll-road, it was mainly used by cars . . . not too many semis . . . . so that was good.

Judging from the NCDOT drawing, I'd say that I540 is going to go over some of the nearby roads, with the closest on-ramp being at 401. The turn out of the subdivision towards the closest on-ramp would be a right-hander.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:37 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
I would be careful of how close I-540 would be to my neighborhood. Not just my house, although that would be matter much more, but anywhere in the neighborhood.

I remember seeing home prices drop in some beautiful neighborhoods in North Raleigh when I-540 was being planned, to the point where the property value became less than the remaining mortgage. People didn't know exactly how it would impact the homes and neighborhoods, and assumed the worst. What would happen to the views? How much noise would the cars create? What would happen to the traffic in and out of the neighborhood? Without seeing the actual highway, there was no easy way to tell.

In some cases, their fears were realized, with the highway dissecting some of the neighborhoods. In others, the impact was minimal or non-existent. But until people can actually see the effect (which will probably be years away), many will write off the homes if/when you try to resell it.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:53 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,967 times
One concern to think about is the amount of air pollution that you may be exposed to (primarily ozone), especially downwind of the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary