Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 PM

210 posts, read 749,143 times

Advertisements

I was just on the realtor site Moderator cut: removed and watched a video on Cary. I know we all have different opinions on the schools for Wake, and how they are run, but do you think the video should be stating that Cary has neighborhood schools? I personally wouldn't call Cary's schools neighborhood schools, what are your thoughts? Do you think this video is misleading?

Last edited by autumngal; 02-08-2008 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: to comply with TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
Do you have the link? It's kind of hard to comment without watching it.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,061,415 times
The Terms of Service won't allow us to post a link (it's on a real estate agency's website). Just go to Moderator cut: removed and then look on the left side of the page for a box that says "View our community films".

I don't know if I would say it is misleading. Dispite all of the hubub, I get the impression that there are people out there in Wake County who can still walk to their children's school. And there are a lot of people who are satisfied with the school system. A video like this is not meant to give balanced opinions, anyway. It's a marketing tool.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-08-2008 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: please dm

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
I'm in Cary and I feel like our school is a "neighborhood school" (Cary elementary). It is mostly kids from the surrounding neighborhoods and they all know each other. . Even many of the teachers live in the surrounding neighborhoods! My daughter's TA this year lives down the street from us. The office manager lives around the corner...

BUT, I don't think they should market them that way knowing that people can be and are reassigned. I would hate to think that people bought a house in Cary because they mistakenly thought that Cary was somehow not involved in redisctricting.

Last edited by lamishra; 01-24-2008 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
Thanks Mrs. Steel. I must be blind. I agree completely with lamishra. Our elementary school (Weatherstone) is pretty much a neighborhood school (at least for Weatherstone, Highland Oaks and Glenkirk) and I would be shocked to be reassigned, but I understand there are no guarantees. One of the neighborhoods across the street (less than a mile from Weatherstone) was reassigned to Briarcliff. I probably wouldn't be comfortable using the term "neighborhood school".

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM

210 posts, read 749,143 times
I agree with what you have all said, thanks for your opinions.

Even though you both feel as if you are in neighborhood schools, kids are probably bussed in from other places making it not a true neighborhood school.

Feeling like you have a neighborhood school is wonderful, but actually being in one is a different story and I don't think the video quite explains it the way it is.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:34 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
The school board is going out of their way to emphasize that there is no such thing as a neighborhood school in the WCPSS. People are trying to use that as an argument to fight reassignment and it doesn't appear to be working.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,828 times
Default There ARE some neighborhood schools...

in Cary. It may be that some students are bussed in or out, but many kids can and do walk. I took photos for a house I was selling that included pics of a lot of parents walking down the street holding the kids' hands. It was really nice to see even though I had to get up at 6 AM to get there on time. I hoped they wouldn't think I was a crazy stalker when I was taking them!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM

997 posts, read 4,646,175 times
Green Hope Elementary is in my neighborhood and I consider it the neighborhood school. I don't think it was all that misleading. All you need is one school in a neighborhood in Cary to support the comment in the video.

Hopefully parents moving into the area that are concerned with schools with do their homework and realize that it might be a possibility that their child will not go to the closest school.

I can't speak for other realtors, but I always inform my buyers not to get their hearts set on a school because that could change in the future. Purchasing a home is a big decision and I feel they should be informed about everything.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:36 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,833 times
IMO to say that any school in Wake County is a neighborhood school is misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary