Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times

Advertisements

I noticed this week that they already have lines painted on the north/west-bound lanes, they removed the 2 conveyor belts that connected to the medians, and they've started installing the posts for the cable guard rails. The project's page on the NC DOT website says "June 2011" for a completion date, but I can't imagine that it will take them any longer than another month to finish. Anyone know when their anticipated completion date is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 05:54 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
but I can't imagine that it will take them any longer than another month to finish.
You give the DOT too much credit I think.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
I am almost certain that they will be shifting the traffic to the two new lanes and repaving the existing lanes before reshifting again to the three through lanes. Taking up that old concrete and repaving will take time.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:53 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
It was mentioned on WRAL news this morning that 84% of the widening work has been completed compared to the scheduled 50%, so they are significantly ahead of schedule. The reporter also said that whilst June 2011 is still the official completion date it is anticipated that the work will be completed before then. I suppose it will be dependant on any complex activities which might be small in percentage of total work but is the critical path determining completion - such as any bridge widening.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
I am almost certain that they will be shifting the traffic to the two new lanes and repaving the existing lanes before reshifting again to the three through lanes.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Taking up that old concrete and repaving will take time.
Why would they take it up? Just pave over it. My assumption is that the new lanes are short by 1 layer of asphalt. They would shift us over to the new lanes for a week while they put a new layer of asphalt on the old side, then shift us back over to the old side again while they put the final layer on the new side. Maybe that's too simple.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
One issue is that they can't put the final layer of asphalt down once it is below a certain temperature. So it's entirely possible that they may be in a holding pattern very soon. Sometimes they are allowed to open the new lanes and come back later for the final lift. The did this on the highway 55 project iirc.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Why would they take it up? Just pave over it.
Depends on the soundness of the underlying concrete. Asphalt on top of bad concrete doesn't last long -- e.g., Glenwood Avenue between downtown and I-440. Over the years it was resurfaced with asphalt many times, each time with decreasing longevity. NCDOT finally bit the bullet and dug it up between Five Points and Wade Avenue, but it's only a matter of time before reconstruction is needed north of Five Points.

I suspect some concrete repairs are necessary on I-40, but I'd be surprised if they repour all of it.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
They will shift traffic to the inside 2 lanes and begin work on noise walls on the outside in the next month. The concrete will be repaired (crack sealed) and resurfaced. There are a lot of little things to be done before the project is complete and the colder temps will prevent them from doing some of that work. I would anticipate an early to mid spring completion, although traffic may be in the final pattern (i.e. 3 lanes) before then.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:09 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
N&O story

Old 11-02-2010, 05:15 PM

I noticed this afternoon that they painted the lines on the eastbound new lanes, and they've also taken up most of the concrete barrier separating the new and old lanes. They have begun to thread the cables through the posts for the guard rails also.

I can't believe that it will take them another 6 months to repair the outside lanes and install sound barriers. Darn. Still have to put up with that traffic until spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary