Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,794,756 times

Advertisements

I was born in Raleigh at old Rex ( what is now the Employment Security Commission main office on Wade Ave). I've lived in Raleigh and eventually grew up and moved to Carry first and now I live in Morrisville. To hear some in my family talk, you'd think I lived in Alaska .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM

55 posts, read 175,881 times
Me! I was born in Sanford, raised in Pittsboro and currently reside in Durham. :-)

And about 70% of my co-workers (at least in my department) are natives which I guess isn't the norm anymore.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,348,834 times
My sister and my boyfriend are natives. She was born and raised in Durham and he in Cary. Although both my family and his are transplants.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:28 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,736,079 times
My two-year-old is a native!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,418,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
My two-year-old is a native!
Love it - very cute response!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,236,029 times
lol.

Was born in Fayetteville in the 80's and now reside in Raleigh. Trying to make moves out west. But as a native I see the allure of North Carolina and admit it is hard to beat just for overall ease of life it's kinda right in the middle. Not too cold or hot, not to North or South. Diverse enough, Mountains and Beaches cities and towns. Anyone here from California? I've visited several times and I think I'm about to be a transplant too!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times
There are still plenty of us here. It seems that transplants tend to hang around (and work with) mostly other transplants, which sometimes gives them the impression that there are no natives here, while natives are more likely to hang around with the same friends they've had for decades. Also, even people from Raleigh can have a tendency use a more generic accent when talking to a Northerner: it's like being bilingual; you respond in the accent that was spoken to you, usually without even noticing. This is a common trait of folks who grew up in very mixed Southern/Northern areas (just as with English/Spanish areas or whatever). That's not to say NO NC natives retain their native accent around Northerners, but if we were around a lot of transplants young enough, we grew up hearing all manner of accents and will tend to answer back accordingly. So maybe some of those folks around you are in fact natives who have "chameleon" accents.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,811,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There are still plenty of us here. It seems that transplants tend to hang around (and work with) mostly other transplants, which sometimes gives them the impression that there are no natives here, while natives are more likely to hang around with the same friends they've had for decades. Also, even people from Raleigh can have a tendency use a more generic accent when talking to a Northerner: it's like being bilingual; you respond in the accent that was spoken to you, usually without even noticing. This is a common trait of folks who grew up in very mixed Southern/Northern areas (just as with English/Spanish areas or whatever). That's not to say NO NC natives retain their native accent around Northerners, but if we were around a lot of transplants young enough, we grew up hearing all manner of accents and will tend to answer back accordingly. So maybe some of those folks around you are in fact natives who have "chameleon" accents.
That is so true! I lived in Duplin Co. for 3 years and Wayne Co. for 5 years. Whenever I talk to someone from either place, that accent comes back in a hurry! I can always tell when my boss has talked to his mother, because his Pamlico Co. accent is strong! My kids have always lived in Wake Co. so they don't understand why that happens. They just like to laugh at me!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,277,375 times
I have 4 kids that were born in Raleigh. Hubby was born in a small town about an hour away...still NC. I have lived in NC since I was 3 years old. I know plenty of natives!

It seems that most of the brand new neighborhoods seem to have most of the transplants. Lots of the natives HIDE inside the beltline and around the North Hills area!!!

Vicki

Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,030,447 times
I'm a tarheel born and a tarheel bred & when I die ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary