Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,036 times

Advertisements

My sister is looking to relocate to Raleigh. She is being told that she cannot buy a home while living in NJ unless it's an "investment" property. That she would need to have a job in NC for 3 months in order to apply for a mortgage. Can this be true?? Seems to me if she is willing and able to buy now, she should be able to? And if she were to buy as an investment, what if she cannot rent it and wants to move into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,608 times
I don't know how true this is. My MIL bought a condo in Apex while still living in NJ. She even took out a mortgage on the property.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,467 times
We bought our house while still living in NJ. Might want to check with other lenders. My lender did require proof of employment (the offer letter from my new company). No inflation in our rate or anything (which is what they'll typically do with an investment property).

Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 PM

247 posts, read 452,407 times
We also purchased our home while still living out of state, though my husband was living in a hotel for a few weeks prior to closing. We, like a previous poster, needed to provide the offer letter from my husbands company but there were no hurdles to jump in terms of where we were living as the sale was going through.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
technically it could be done as a second home, but if she wanted to do it as an owner occupied property, she would have to show that whatever income would be continuing. If it's with the same employer, then I would imagine just getting something in writing from them would suffice. If it;s a new employer, usually they would want yu to be in the job at least 30 days to establish what the monthly income would be

Old 11-18-2010, 05:02 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
You are talking about lender rules, and for that reason might even want to move your question over to the real estate forum. If you are paying cash you can buy anything you want in NC, no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary