Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,596 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband (ex-cop) has been reading the Chapel Hill news and has noticed some disturbing information in the police blotter on several occassions. Bail/bonds on crimes are set really low compared to our area. I know people say Chapel Hill is liberal, but are they liberal when it comes to crime? We live in a liberal area of NY but they are very conservative when it comes to crimes. I am a little concerned about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times
We live outside the city limits, but have 2 neighbors who work (ed) for the Carrboro PD. From their perspective and what I've heard from others I know in Chapel Hill, the police do a fine job. The problem lies within the court system...and that can be liberal. It's an issue I think, but one that is being looked at and...(ok I'm out on limb saying this...voted on).

Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM

I realize it is the courts/judges. Aren't residents furious about this? I would be outraged. I guess I am used to an area with no tolerance for crime and citizens that speak out/scream out about it. Here are recent police blotter notices (I am stunned):

chapelhillnews.com | Police Blotter (http://www.chapelhillnews.com/news/story/12656.html - broken link)
--James Foster Fearrington III, 30, of 1749 Dobbins Drive, was arrested Saturday and charged with assault and battery and failure to appear in court. According to a police report, Fearrington assaulted a person in front of a police officer and was arrested. He was released on a written promise to appear in court.
--Isaac Warring Tull Gant, 16, of 707 Emory Drive, was arrested Saturday and charged with first-degree burglary, four counts of felony breaking and entering and one count of breaking and entering a vehicle. The charges are related to a recent string of break-ins in the Pinehurst Drive area. He was released on a written promise to appear in court.

chapelhillnews.com | Man slain in drive-by shooting (broken link)
Shootings-
2/13/08 CHAPEL HILL -- A man was killed in a drive-by shooting in the Northside neighborhood Tuesday afternoon.The shooting took place at the intersection of Sykes Street and Gomains Avenue. On Aug. 26, another shooting there wounded Lamont Alston, the 17-year-old brother of Quincy Bowens, 15, the victim of another fatal drive-by shooting in Durham last June.

Do people feel safe in Chapel Hill?

Last edited by autumngal; 02-13-2008 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: added links with OP for copyrighted material

Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
I live in Chapel Hill and share your concern. There have been two murders in two weeks; one in Carrboro (essentially the same metropolitan area) and one in Chapel Hill. Both were public where other people could have been injured. We live in an average neighborhood and recently read in the police blotter that the son of our neighbor directly across the street was arrested last month for auto theft and has a previous police record. Our dear neighbors across the street have had their tool shed stolen from 4 times. My mother, who lives in one of the desirable areas of Chapel Hill came home last summer to find an unmarked van in her driveway behind the house (and not visable from the street). The occupants of the van drove away as soon as she drove in. During that time, there were numerous breakins in her neighborhood. While we lived very near Northside in 1998, a watchful neighbor and his dog fended off a breakin to our duplex apartment. (When we moved in to that apartment, I had to replace a window track that had probably been damaged during a previous breakin.

I have read in the Durham Herald Sun that Durham is considering raising their bail rates. I don't know who sets bail guidelines for jurisdictions in NC. I read the police blotter, and, too, am quite concerned by these low bail amount and easy releases as well as the overall crime rate in Chapel Hill and nearby Durham.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Absolutely, people should be outraged, and should complain. Not living in Chapel Hill I have no voice per se there, but can say that a few years ago there was a movement when residents were concerned about certain DA letting folks off easy. They let their voices be heard then, and things changed. Not sure why folks in Chapel Hill don't scream now. Perhaps they aren't reading the blotters. I can tell you the officers are frustrated though (how many times I've heard "we arrest but "they" keep letting them go")

Old 02-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Well, if I move there - which we plan on it - I am going to educate myself on the local politicians and try my best to put a fire under their a#$%$! They listen to the citizens since the citizens voted them in and can vote them out. Residents have to get fired up about it. If not for safety, then for property values. High crime lowers values. I just don't understand what the citizens are (more like are not) doing about it. These are educated folks for God's sake!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ
Well, if I move there - which we plan on it - I am going to educate myself on the local politicians and try my best to put a fire under their a#$%$!
I'm not sure I understand your outrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ
Bail/bonds on crimes are set really low compared to our area. I know people say Chapel Hill is liberal, but are they liberal when it comes to crime?
Last I checked, Chapel Hill is within America's borders and here in the good ole USA there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Simply being arrested and charged does not mean that the person is guilty of a crime. Perhaps there is some confusion as to what bail/bond means? Higher bail requirements would do nothing to deter crime. Bail is not a "fine" or punishment for a crime. Bail is property held by courts (and later returned at the conclusion of trial) to ensure that the accused will appear.

People who have a high probability of appearing in court are often released OR (own recognizance). A high percentage of these individuals do indeed show up to court. This occurs in virtually every jurisdiction here in the US, not just so-called liberal places like Chapel Hill. I, for one, am fired up and outraged by some of your statements. Raising bail does not deter crimes, but rather, it simply places undue burden on the economically disadvantaged who face criminal allegation.

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=77852199

Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I'm not sure I understand your outrage.

Last I checked, Chapel Hill is within America's borders and here in the good ole USA there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Simply being arrested and charged does not mean that the person is guilty of a crime. Perhaps there is some confusion as to what bail/bond means? Higher bail requirements would do nothing to deter crime. Bail is not a "fine" or punishment for a crime. Bail is property held by courts (and later returned at the conclusion of trial) to ensure that the accused will appear.

People who have a high probability of appearing in court are often released OR (own recognizance). A high percentage of these individuals do indeed show up to court. This occurs in virtually every jurisdiction here in the US, not just so-called liberal places like Chapel Hill. I, for one, am fired up and outraged by some of your statements. Raising bail does not deter crimes, but rather, it simply places undue burden on the economically disadvantaged who face criminal allegation.

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=77852199
i agree with your statements, but to be fair, it's not usually rich people who are breaking into houses, stealing cars, or engaging in drive-bys. this sort of crime seems to be everywhere i've thought about moving, though, so i'd have to imagine it is just a prevalent where i live now. but i've never really had any major problems...

Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 AM

[/quote]Last I checked, Chapel Hill is within America's borders and here in the good ole USA there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Simply being arrested and charged does not mean that the person is guilty of a crime. Perhaps there is some confusion as to what bail/bond means? Higher bail requirements would do nothing to deter crime. Bail is not a "fine" or punishment for a crime. Bail is property held by courts (and later returned at the conclusion of trial) to ensure that the accused will appear.

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=77852199[/quote]

First of all, you live in Cary so what exactly is your experience with Chapel Hill that you felt the need to respond to this? Secondly, the article you linked only supports my point. Durham wants to increase bails to get harder on crime. The article says:

"We see time and time again where people are arrested for violent crimes and quickly get out of jail. Then they commit more crimes."
And although they have certain reservations, all three of Durham's district attorney candidates agree with the proposal.

This is because Durham has had a reputation of being a high crime area and they are trying to turn that around. If you think cost is more important than the safety of citizens - you are completely off the mark. One of the most important factors in anyone deciding where to live is how safe it is. Since you are "in the know" - you tell me exactly how to lower crime rates without getting tougher on crime and spending money to do it?
I saw first hand how NYC turned around from a high crime city to one of the safest big cities in America. Bottom line, it cost money and they were tough on crime - including taking bail amounts seriously! By the way, the offenses I showed above with $0 bail was assault and battery (violent crime) and burglery. You think that does not warrant a bail amount? I guess if someone punched you in the face and stole your wallet - you would be okay with a promise to appear in court and no bail. Yeah right!
By the way, if you research crime rates nationally, Chapel Hill has 34% more violent crimes and 67% more property crime than the National Average. So, a problem does exist there - like it or not.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i agree with your statements, but to be fair, it's not usually rich people who are breaking into houses, stealing cars, or engaging in drive-bys. this sort of crime seems to be everywhere i've thought about moving, though, so i'd have to imagine it is just a prevalent where i live now. but i've never really had any major problems...
FYI, where the crime rate nationally is a 3, I live in an area that is a 1 (and I live 45 min. N of Manhattan with NYC commuters - so it isn't a place in the middle of nowhere). Crime can be reduced significantly if it is a priority.

Last edited by LisaZ; 02-18-2008 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary