Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 PM

108 posts, read 502,781 times

Advertisements

Hey Ya'll,

I'm researching a possible move to the area (isn't everyone), and was looking for advice on a couple things.

Our situation is pretty simple. My wife and I, a yr old child, and another on the way. We're currently residing in the Chicago area, and are completely priced out of ever owning a home. I'm the only one working, and it's a struggle to afford to live here. Prior to Chicago, we lived in Charlestion SC. We really enjoyed our time there, minus the so-called "waterbugs" aka gigantic cockroaches. Anyway, we loved the style of homes, the weather, the water and being a day trip from the mountains, the nice and welcoming people, and just felt more eased there (less rush hour traffic over the rivers). It's such a different world in the south, and we really miss it.

Anyway, we've been researching Tennesee and NC specifically, and a position is available in Durham. So my questions are pretty general to everyone elses, where should we look to live? Rent for six months? How soon do you see the housing market exploading (like in Charleston)? How far is the drive to the ocean/mountains? What areas should we specifically avoid?

I think I glamorize this life of rocking chairs under ceiling fans on the front porch, a four bedroom/two bath/two level house for under $175,000. Is it here, or am I looking in the wrong places?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Ah, the famous palmetto bugs. We had them in New Orleans too.

Definitely rent until you get your bearings here. The housing market isn't melting down here, but there are affordable choices.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
The Triangle is quite large and there are a LOT of options, so if at all possible, I would recommend that you rent for a while first (we rented for a year before buying). That way you'll have tons of time to explore the area & find what is right for you. For instance, do you want to live within the city of Durham or Raleigh? Or would you rather be in a more suburban or rural environment? You'll get to see the benefits of both & take the time to see what is best for you.

As for finding a house that size for $175,000? It can be found BUT that price bracket is highly competitive and you may need to move fast! All the more reason to be living here first.

Best of luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Found out work is in SE Durham. Any neighborhoods to search for a good house rental?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 AM

I strongly recommend you go to a professionally managed apt community for a rental.

House rentals involve giving large deposits to folks who may try to steal them with phony damage charges or not be financially able to refund.

Apt deposits here are really low - like $200.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 AM

We did that in SC, and I got screwed when we tried to get out of the lease to buy a house. I did contact a real estate company that was recommended in one of the other threads, so maybe they'll come through.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:03 PM

You can get 6 month leases in many communities then go month-to-month if you're close to a home purchase.

Of course, you will get burned breaking a lease. Try for a minimum term if you don't plan to stay for a year.

Maintenance can also be a nightmare in rentals from small landlords. Big complexes have service techs on staff. Little guys have to hire contractors to fix your issues.

Just yesterday, our A/C was acting up. Rang up Katie at the office. Buzz came by within the hour to fix the compressor.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:14 AM

39 posts, read 92,307 times
Default It is possible

I have seen so many folks asking if the dream of the housing you desire is really possible. The answer is yes! Here are the tricks though. In my experience, real estate agents will steer you out of communities that they see as undesirable. I bought my home for about $90K - 4 bedrms and 2 baths. The trick in my case was an agent that was willing to let me see any property that fit my desired specs instead of choosing ones for me. You'd think this would take longer, but I only went to see homes twice and landed the ONE.

Every case is different, but the historic areas in Durham are great. I can see the fireworks to the Bulls Stadium from my front porch so that life is not a fairy tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary