Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times

Advertisements

This ripoff started about 2 years ago. Used to be about $15.

Another way to generate revenue without upsetting the holy grail of keeping property tax low.

No other utility gouges so badly.

The assumption is that public utilities work in the public good and, for this reason, do not need to be regulated.

Take a look at court fees for tickets where you mail a check and don't ask to appear.

Now, where are the crooks?

Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM

502 posts, read 1,655,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt61 View Post
But that isn't what I am asking for?
And why would someone bother answering a post without helping with the question?
Do people have so little to do?
Because maybe you could go to the City of Raleigh and say that you've discussed this fee with several people and none of them had experience with it. So their claim that everyone pays it is not true.

Last edited by HomeHuntress; 11-27-2010 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-27-2010, 12:44 PM

86 posts, read 207,263 times
We moved from an apartment in Cary to a house and I remember them charging $60 for the "new" account. We have not been in the house for a year yet, but I think I vaguely remember them telling me we could get that back as a credit after a year. I ate too much turkey on Thursday, so maybe this is all still just a dream .

Old 11-27-2010, 02:16 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Thanks to the wonder of google

The Official City of Raleigh Portal - Utility Service Deposits and Fees

Quote:
Deposit refunds, without interest, will be applied to the customer's account after 12 months of good payment history and a credit score greater than 700 as determined by the Utility Billing system.
Deposit Fee Schedule Residential Customers $50
So atleast you would be getting it back

Town of Cary has a similar deposit system. They waived it after we agreed to a credit check. Same thing with PSNC and Progress.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM

76 posts, read 121,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaLakn View Post
Thanks to the wonder of google

The Official City of Raleigh Portal - Utility Service Deposits and Fees

So atleast you would be getting it back

Town of Cary has a similar deposit system. They waived it after we agreed to a credit check. Same thing with PSNC and Progress.

No we won't be getting it back and we never got the first fee back either.
We have a perfect payment record with the city before this issue.

The fee is question however seems to be this one.

Service Initiation Fee: $50 will be assessed to cover fees associated with administration of the account and or the initial meter reading. The Service Initiation fee will be charged to all customers establishing service in their name for utility services (to include new service, transfer of service, account ownership change, etc.).

This is a spurious fee and it does not cost $50 to come and read a meter, even if they were making a sole journey to do so, which they do not,
But since they read the meter when the last person was there and then cut off supply, there should be no need to make another visit to read the meter again.
The visit therefore is just to re-connect the supply - a quick job.

There is also no 'administration" required for the account.

Since they know our current address, they just transfer our name from one address to another - 1 minute of work.

This is essentially just charging money for nothing and it is tantamount to theft.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
Because maybe you could go to the City of Raleigh and say that you've discussed this fee with several people and none of them had experience with it. So their claim that everyone pays it is not true.
Well, I would have to tell them who were the people I "discussed" it with and I believe an anonymous web forum doesn't count.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:12 PM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt61 View Post
Well, I would have to tell them who were the people I "discussed" it with and I believe an anonymous web forum doesn't count.
Why not simply contact the City of Raleigh directly instead of addressing the concern to anonymous users who will have opinions only based on their own dealings on the same matter which may or may not be similar to your own situation?

If I were in your situation, I would not be concerned with any input unless it was from an official within the City of Raleigh organization.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Why not simply contact the City of Raleigh directly instead of addressing the concern to anonymous users who will have opinions only based on their own dealings on the same matter which may or may not be similar to your own situation?
What makes you think we haven't?
We have.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:47 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
If you don't like the City's price list for services, write your City council representatives. Don't expect it to have any effect, however, unless lots of people do likewise. This doesn't sound like the kind of issue that would stir up the proletariat.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
If you don't like the City's price list for services, write your City council representatives. Don't expect it to have any effect, however, unless lots of people do likewise. This doesn't sound like the kind of issue that would stir up the proletariat.
Another post that doesn't help in any way with my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary