Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 AM

310 posts, read 1,715,278 times

Advertisements

When you bought or built your new home, how much did you pay from the listing/asking price?

Because I don't have a buyer agent, my builder is willing to negotiate %2.5 off of the asking price. How much more should I ask for?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 06:40 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
When you bought or built your new home, how much did you pay from the listing/asking price?

Because I don't have a buyer agent, my builder is willing to negotiate %2.5 off of the asking price. How much more should I ask for?

Thanks
When we put an offer on our house (April '06) our first offer was 5% under asking price and we settled on about 1.5% under asking price, but with the cash back for carpeting, etc we paid about 3.2% under asking price. This was for a house south of 540 off of Leesville Rd.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Offer what you believe is a fair price. It's a buyers market and you should use that as leverage to get as much of a reduction as possible.

The Realtors on this forum will tell you that houses sell within 2% of listing price. While those numbers seem to hold up (based on posts in this forum) I would recommend you do your homework and arrive at a number that makes sense to you. You can always increase your offer.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
The 2% leeway is mostly the way it works out with re sales.

Builders are a different breed! If their sales are down for that month, they'll negotiate a bit more than if they have no inventory at all.

With new construction, you really should do your homework to see what other homes have been selling for.

Vicki

Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
Just to give you a ballpark, the last 4 buyers I had payed between 98% and 99% of the list price for the home.

I think a lot of it depends on the builder, the neighborhood, etc. When I bought my personal home, we got about 2.5 percent off of the list (it was new construction) because it was a spec house that was sitting and ready to move.

As long as you feel comfortable with the building process and make sure to get everything in writing (all change documents, etc) which covers you and the builder. Also, enlist an excellent real estate attorney (not one the builder recommends) and have him or her review all of the documents.

The builder is going to pay a percentage to a buyer's agent, and some will just pay that to the buyer instead of his or her agent. Again, though, only do it if you are familiar with the building process, your negotiating process, etc.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary