Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM

18 posts, read 29,774 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are considering a move to Raleigh, and possibly Charlotte, from Cols, OH. If there is anyone who is familiar with Columbus as well as NC, your input will be greatly appreciated.

I have been searching the forums for some time, but now I need some personalized feedback!

I am wondering about things such as amenities, for starters. I am concerned that Raleigh will seem much smaller. I've been trying to take notice of the things in Columbus that I actually think I would miss if I couldn't find them in the city I move to.

Some questions: Which city is more comparable to Cols, Charlotte or Raleigh?
Is there a great dollar theater in Raleigh (comparing to Carriage Place)?
How are the libraries in Raleigh/Charlotte compared to Cols?
Rec centers? Looking for activities for children and adults that aren't expensive, from arts/dance classes to sports?
Anything comparable to COSI, which we love?
We prefer an area that is culturally diverse (all nationalities) and a more urban vibe in general, but safe.
Also, is homeschooling big in the area?

Please share what you know/think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
Having never lived in Columbus I can't compare it to Raleigh. That said, I've lived in Boston, Philadelphia, New York City, and Baltimore (far burbs) as well as north of Siberacuse where I was raised.

I LOVE this area. We are relocating because my husband's 4day a week travel was too much for me and our 3 little kids.

First - I personally know 6 people who homeschool. It's very big. Lots of events, lots of support. There are plenty of terrific schools in both Charlotte and the Raleigh area. (Wake County). Wake Cty pub schools is amidst a pretty ugly maelstrom at the moment, though, and will probably not relax for another 5 years. I hope it does for the sake of the kids! There are lots of terrific schools in all areas, as well as charter schools and magnet schools (and of course lots of good parochial and private schools)

As far as your day to day stuff that you do - forget it, say goodbye to it, and remember it fondly. Once you have lived in an area for a number of years, you will find your favorite sandwich shop (cosi), your favorite coffee shop, bakery, etc. And they may or may not ever be replaced in your new locale. It's ok, because other things will replace them. Really, they will.

This is a VERY diverse area - much moreso than I ever imagined! (read first line, I *get* diverse!) I always thought it would be backward and full of hillbillies. That's west virginia, not the triangle.

Many museums - science, art, history, etc.

BEACH! Mountains! History! Gorgeous area. Really - it's not like the north, and it's hard to describe how beautiful everything is. Highways - that people take care of and plant flowers every year - and not all dark, gray, and loaded with salt and sand 4-5 months a year. Wh00p!

We will miss it immensely and are looking forward to our next adventure. Good luck whatever you choose.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Default Friendliness in Raleigh/Charlotte

Ok, got another question... friendliness of the people in NC.
I am not concerned, I am just trying to get an idea of what people are like. Similar to Cols, OH or different? If different, in what way(s)? For example, I visited Cali once and noticed that the people there are significantly more friendly and outgoing than Ohio. They seem more up front and direct. In Ohio, people are nice. More conservative but not too much. Less open and outgoing, but polite.

So what about Raleigh and Charlotte?

Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Default Wow, great news!

Thank you for your wonderful reply, Ncer! I am so excited to know that homeschooling is big and there will be lots of resources and support, and good schools to fall back on if necessary. I am also thrilled about the cultural diversity - yay! Also, I was very concerned about a lack of museums. I am SOOO glad to know that NC will not be lacking in these. The COSI I was referring to is actually a science center with the same name here in Cols.. but you answered that concern, and it is good to know the restaurant will be there as well.. . And I can't wait for WARMER WEATHER and SUNNIER SKIES, BEACHES, MOUNTAINS, NATURE, ETC!!

I was (minorly) concerned about the highways because I read somewhere that people are throwing trash out the windows so they don't look good.. sounds like it's not that bad.

It's too bad that you will be leaving, but I hope you find a great place to relocate to. How many years did you live in Raleigh? Sounds like this one was your favorite.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSparkle View Post
Ok, got another question... friendliness of the people in NC.
I am not concerned, I am just trying to get an idea of what people are like. Similar to Cols, OH or different? If different, in what way(s)? For example, I visited Cali once and noticed that the people there are significantly more friendly and outgoing than Ohio. They seem more up front and direct. In Ohio, people are nice. More conservative but not too much. Less open and outgoing, but polite.

So what about Raleigh and Charlotte?
Regardless of where you are, you will always attract more bees with honey. When you were in Cali, I assume you were on vacation. Cue dopey grin. Keep that dopey grin when your friends in Columbus are shoveling for the umpteenth time this winter and you are mowing your yard already in March.

This question never ceases to amaze me. People are people regardless of where you go. There are lots of transplants here from all over. If you are grumpy, people will treat you the same. IF you are whiny, you'll hear "bless your heart" a lot. If you are just a nice, warm person, you will meet the same. Charlotte, Raleigh, doesn't much matter. New York City for that matter.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your wonderful reply, Ncer! I am so excited to know that homeschooling is big and there will be lots of resources and support, and good schools to fall back on if necessary. I am also thrilled about the cultural diversity - yay! Also, I was very concerned about a lack of museums. I am SOOO glad to know that NC will not be lacking in these. The COSI I was referring to is actually a science center with the same name here in Cols.. but you answered that concern, and it is good to know the restaurant will be there as well.. . And I can't wait for WARMER WEATHER and SUNNIER SKIES, BEACHES, MOUNTAINS, NATURE, ETC!!

I was (minorly) concerned about the highways because I read somewhere that people are throwing trash out the windows so they don't look good.. sounds like it's not that bad.

It's too bad that you will be leaving, but I hope you find a great place to relocate to. How many years did you live in Raleigh? Sounds like this one was your favorite.
YQW. We've been here 7 years in January. Have given birth to 2 of our 3 kids, and are leaving our first house. It's bittersweet and worse, because I'm still here - remembering all the reasons I'll miss it - even before we're gone! I don't know if COSI is here - I remember them in NYC. For my part (hubs and I are serious foodies) it's nothing special, other than a cool concept. New York City is still tied with Boston. But the practicality of living in either of those metros with kids is staggering, sobering, and, well, out of my price range unless I wanted to go back to work full-time, which I really don't. Raleigh is a GREAT place to raise a family. VERY family friendly, lots of open space, lots of parks. There's a reason it tops lists every year for best places to live.

JUST DON'T COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB! (you will hear that from lots of other members of this board, too.)

We're in the middle of selling our house - with hub gone most of the time - and 3 little kids. We have it on a fire sale price for our neighborhood $90/sq ft in Wake Forest - I just want the process over so we can all be together again.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:00 PM

I agree, the vibe you put out is the vibe you get back more often than not. However, I think the reason people pose the question is because every place has a culture, and while you can influence that culture to a point, a lot of times, it just is what it is. It could have just been my dopey grin during my extended visit in Cali, but I truly believe the people are sort of different there too - it's got a different culture.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I agree, the vibe you put out is the vibe you get back more often than not. However, I think the reason people pose the question is because every place has a culture, and while you can influence that culture to a point, a lot of times, it just is what it is. It could have just been my dopey grin during my extended visit in Cali, but I truly believe the people are sort of different there too - it's got a different culture.
the crappy weather has a lot to do with it too - and unemployment, slums, other unpleasant things that people have to deal with - nice weather certainly plays into people's psyche. As does urban renewal v. urban decay. And of course, dopey grins. They're almost always welcome, well, except maybe at funerals.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 PM

Alone with 3 little ones most of the time must be exhausting... I sure do hope you're able to sell your house quickly! Hubby will have a job before our move, which is why we have TIME. I thought I was fortunate to make peace with where I am before leaving, but I see what you're saying. In a lot of ways, it only highlights the losses. But like you said, there are new gains to be had!

Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I am from Rochester, NY, a cold, miserable, northern city, filled with extremely friendly people.

I went Christmas shopping today (in Raleigh), and at the two stores I went to, women in line spoke to me, and we chatted during the whole wait.

I've always heard that people were friendlier here in NC than elsewhere. To me, they are just as friendly as they were back home -- very friendly. I'm sure they are just as friendly as they are in Columbus, too.

Raleigh is the most diverse place I've ever lived, so you don't have to worry about that whatsoever, either. I expected to run into a few redneck hillbillies who wore sheets and burned crosses in the dead of night; I couldn't have been more wrong.

As far as litter on the highways, yes, it's much worse than it used to be. There seems to be more litterers and fewer cleanups. But there is a lot more landscaping here than in Northern cities, so generally it looks much nicer than up North.

And for the beaches and mountains, yes, if you are willing to drive, you'll find they are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary