Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No change here.
I predict we will not have a 9.0 quake and 30' tsunami in my lifetime.

But, I do like my electricity. It helps me post to CityData.
^^ This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Quote:
No change here.

I live about 15 miles away from the Brunswick nuclear plant in Southport and I agree with this guy. Until somebody invents a Utopia free of life's risks I plan to enjoy the cheap electricity.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
I live about 15 miles away from the Brunswick nuclear plant in Southport and I agree with this guy. Until somebody invents a Utopia free of life's risks I plan to enjoy the cheap electricity.
I live closer to Shearon Harris than you do to Brunswick.
About 11 "Crow Flight" miles.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Quote:
I live closer to Shearon Harris than you do to Brunswick.
About 11 "Crow Flight" miles.
Well I'm only about 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean so I consider myself to be in the "high tsumani probability zone".

No worries though. I've got a boat.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:42 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Agreed about SH, even Brunswick - which is a BWR like Daiichi.

This site does a good job of reporting facts w/o some of the hype

World Nuclear News

Also very much worth noting is that all reactors at the Daini facility are now in cold shutdown.

If you look in the archives you'll see the report from the earthquake that shook the region last Wednesday - this was before the 9.0 quake on Friday. The impact from this quake was small enough that the plants didn't shut down (the associated tsunami was about 1.5'). Ironically enough things might have been easier if that quake was slightly larger and actually triggered a shutdown before Friday and the combined 9.0 and tsunami.

Frank

Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
No change here.

Fwiw, since not many people seem to know is that the Japanese plant lost on-site and back up power to run cooling water and that is why its been in trouble. It properly shut down when the earthquake started and was fine until the tsunami knocked out all power to the water pumps.

Something like that can happen anywhere, and in NC a hurricane for example could do that, but its not something I'd lose sleep over.

Besides, I hear HS has a lovely glow about it at night...

Old 03-17-2011, 01:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Quote:
No change here.

Ah yes. But I could envision a big hurricane scoring a direct hit on the watershed for Shearon Harris Lake, dropping 20" of water on it, leading to a topping of the dam and subsequent dam failure. Suddenly the back up water supply for the plant is gone.

Meanwhile, a swarm of tornadoes spawned by the hurricane (ala Fran) tear up the transmission lines providing power to the plant.

Loss of power, loss of water, and a screw up in the panicked control room, and you have the same type of inconceivable series of events that the Japanese are experiencing.

Highly unlikely? Yes. But there is a reason that nuclear power plants are unable to get liability insurance at any price.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Hubby and I just had this conversation yesterday...our 2nd home is in Southport and although we know there is a nuclear plant there, we don't know EXACTLY WHERE it is...can you give directions?

Thanks!

Vicki

Old 03-17-2011, 03:11 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
I'm 5 miles from Shearon Harris...and no I'm not concerned.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Hubby and I just had this conversation yesterday...our 2nd home is in Southport and although we know there is a nuclear plant there, we don't know EXACTLY WHERE it is...can you give directions?

Thanks!

Vicki
Its across from the Walmart as you enter town (seriously, maybe a mile away). That creek just before the Walmart on NC211 is discharge water. The nuclear plant is on the other side of NC87

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary