Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times

Advertisements

If you live within 10 miles of the plant, you need to get your supply of Iodine pills. If you still have any from the previous giveaway they are advising you no longer keep these as they lose potency.

While this is a precaution, if ever anything happens, there will probably be a rush on it from Apex to Durham! If you don't have pills, in a pinch you can paint liquid iodine on the inside of your arm

Wake to distribute preparedness tablets to residents near nuclear plant :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,079 times
Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to go pick up the new tabs.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,799 times
I'll be fine. I'm not taking anything "the state" tells me to take.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I'll be fine. I'm not taking anything "the state" tells me to take.
I hope you were being facetious, not serious?

Just in case you were serious - You don't take the pills until a radiation leak occurs. And that's to protect your thyroid from cancer. Using betadine on the skin will do the same, it's absorbed thru the skin. There is a magic window of time to do this otherwise it's useless doing it after that. For kids it's more crucial as they are more at risk.

if a big enough leak occurred and the winds blew in the right direction, not only would the current Garner, Fuquay, Apex, etc area need protection, but also zone 2, most of Raleigh and all the surrounding towns. Wake Forest is in the 3rd zone I think(?) so WF, Wakefield, the northern areas will be the most safe, as well of other places equidistant.

Again, the likelyhood is SO slim, but best to be prepared.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
How does someone know they are in Zone 1/2/3? Is there a map of the zones somewhere or a tool that lets you put in your street address or zip code? For people who are outside of Zone 1, is there an easy way to get iodine pills for emergencies? I'm not afraid of the nuclear plant. I'm just curious.

D'oh! OK, I found the answer. There's a map on the website for the Harris Nuclear Plant.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
How does someone know they are in Zone 1/2/3? Is there a map of the zones somewhere or a tool that lets you put in your street address or zip code? For people who are outside of Zone 1, is there an easy way to get iodine pills for emergencies? I'm not afraid of the nuclear plant. I'm just curious.

D'oh! OK, I found the answer. There's a map on the website for the Harris Nuclear Plant.
That link only shows zone 1, 10 mile around the site. I live at the edge of NE and E Raleigh and for years CP&L/Progress Energy would send up an info guide show our zone, which I think was 2 meaning 20-30 miles from the plant. I no longer have it so can't tell you exactly who is in 2 & 3. I do remember reading it and joking to my hubby that we need to move to N. Wake Forest or Durham to be safe if anything ever happens. So they are either out of zone 3 or at the edge.

I've attached a similar guide but again, it's only for zone 1.
If I find the map for the other zones, I'll post here.
http://progress-energy.com/aboutener...nts/Harris.pdf

Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Came across this posting. NC Warn is a local org. They address the issue of fuel rods being shipped into Shearon from sites across the US for storage once they are spent. They say this poses more of a safety threat than a leak especially considering that Iodine is of no use. If this occurs then the net of concern widens significantly. This is worth a read. NC WARN » UNC Researchers: Harris Disaster Could Impact 2 Million

BTW - Update - I cannot find any info on zones 2 & 3 on the web.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,335 times
the best thing to do would be to take your iodine pills (I have heard the skin version is NOT affective from some survivalist sources) and get the hell out of dodge--take a look at wind pattern maps to see which direction to travel.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

zitsky - to answer your Q re: locate pills - they can be purchased OTC.

And, I was serious about applying betadine or iodine to skin only. One should have this in their medicine cabinet. Here's some info - search the page for "When Fallout is Expected" Creepy, I know!
WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 AM

204 posts, read 383,785 times
Would it be worth it to press your luck and hope for super powers?

Because I live in the danger zone, I am going to have to give it some serious thought....I have always wanted the ability to fly (without a plane!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary