Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 PM

170 posts, read 774,655 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if anyone can point me to a University Library that is open to the public (for studying purposes). I dont need to check out a book or anything, just wanting a place to study. Let me know what you know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 PM

821 posts, read 1,463,633 times
NCSU - walked right in a few weeks ago. Parking leaves a lot to be desired, but I think most of the universities have that issue!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
Yep, NCSU...You can go over to Meredith too.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Pretty much any library around here will let you just go in and study--I've done it at NCSU, Duke, UNC, and Meredith. In fact, in grad school, I routinely used resources at university libraries all over the triangle. Of course, it was a library science program, so they encouraged us to visit as many libraries as possible to see what they had

Checking out books would be another matter, of course, and sometimes it's hard to get a photocopy card if you aren't affiliated, but just going in? I can't imagine one that would prevent people.

Last edited by Francois; 01-05-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 AM

73 posts, read 295,264 times
I've never been turned away from entering any library in NC.

For $50 (last time I signed up) you can become a friend of the library at NCSU. Friends have full borrowing privilages. You can also pick the library on campus easiest to get too and have them deliver it there.

https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/giving/membershipbenefits

Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM

137 posts, read 553,054 times
UNC Chapel Hill has tons of libraries, all open to the public. I believe that a library card (for borrowing books) costs a few bucks, and requires demonstration of a North Carolina address. I have used the main library many times, I love it.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
This info is on the UNC library website:

Quote:
Everyone is welcome to make on-site use of the libraries; however, those who do not have a current, formal relationship with UNC must pay an annual fee for a borrower's card in order to check books out. The borrower's card also provides access to the library's public computers, but does not include off-site access to the library's online licensed resources or library services such as document delivery or interlibrary loan. Friends of the Library, UNC Alumni, resident visiting scholars, and Triangle Research Library affiliates have special borrowing and access privileges.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries: Visitor Information

Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,594 times
I've never had a problem going to any university library and using thing on-site. Librarians and the like are pretty liberal when it comes to access to information and resources. Libraries are designed to be used, and generally won't discriminate against who gets to use it.

One problem with on-campus libraries that you may find is parking, though. It's tough to park on a lot of campuses.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM

632 posts, read 1,845,403 times
I'd like to ask a library question too: are the public libraries around here "connected" in that you can get inter-library loans from the other libraries in the system, or is it just county-wide sharing? In IL, our library system included quite a few counties and all their libraries......just about any book you could imagine was available for checkout.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
I'd like to ask a library question too: are the public libraries around here "connected" in that you can get inter-library loans from the other libraries in the system, or is it just county-wide sharing?
It's nationwide:

Quote:
If an item you’re looking for is not owned by Wake County Public Libraries and we are unable to offer an adequate substitution, we may be able to borrow the material from another library in the United States through a service called InterLibrary Loan (ILL). Through ILL it is possible for you to obtain books, microfilm, articles and other items.
Wake County Public Libraries InterLibrary Loan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary