Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 17,337 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that someone can recommend a lawyer who can help me. I foolishly tried to "help" someone by cosigning an auto loan (I know... I know...) They took off with the car. Next thing I hear, the car was repossessed and sold.

I want to keep 'collections' from trying to take MY car away and to work out a manageable payment plan so that I can get this off of my credit. I don't know enough about the law to do this myself. I need a lawyer who can advise me, contact the creditor, etc. I can't afford to pay thousands in retainer (if I could, I'd just pay the loan). Does anyone know of a good attorney who may be willing to help in this situation?

Thank you, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM

792 posts, read 4,489,020 times
Let this be a lesson to anyone reading this. Has this debt already gone to a collections agency? If so then I would recommend working directly with them yourself. Their #1 goal is to get paid so they will probably be willing to work out a payment plan, or accept a reduced amount as payment in full. You can also negotiate what they report to the credit reporting agencies. The key is to get everything in writing, and then make payments ONLY by certified bank check - never by a credit card or personal check! They are less interested in taking your car, than they are in getting paid. I don't know what a lawyer is going to be able to do for you except run up a bill for legal services. I think it's better to spend your money on satisfying your legal debt. Good luck and I know you won't be making this mistake again.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Brewer Law Firm can assist if you need bankruptcy protection to discharge the debt.

Otherwise, try to work out a payment plan or a settlement.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
If the car was repossessed why is there still an outstanding debt? Isn't that the purpose of the exercise?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
If the car was repossessed why is there still an outstanding debt? Isn't that the purpose of the exercise?
My question as well. Also, they can't repossess just any old car, including yours. Is there something else going on here?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Car was repossessed, so most of the original principle is paid off, but any outstanding amount - I'm guessing a few thousand dollars - is still owed by the cosigners. Frankly, you signed for the debt, a lawyer isn't going to legally help you. A credit counselor might be able to help you work with the credit agency; usually debt is resold at a fraction of the original amount, so you can try paying less, but with "fresh" debt, its hard to make a deal since the value is still so high and they know who you are and how to contact you.

Collection agencies can contact you, but they can't take your property like your car. They could put a lien on anything you own for the debt though, which means they will get paid from any proceeds when you try and sell it.

You need to find your cosigner and get payment from them, or file a case against them in small claims court for the balance plus damages.

You should explain your situation and ask your questions here - CREDITBOARDS.COM - Home

Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 AM

20 posts, read 147,490 times
New2Cary - Before spending money on an attorney, try to contact the creditor / collection agency yourself. dedratermi is right, a collection agency (and your creditor) will almost always be willing to work out a payment plan. Also, if you have a sizeable lump sum (but less than what is owed), offer to pay a lump sum in exchange for a release of your debt.

If you don't have other debts, and you have the ability to make payments on this auto loan, then I wouldn't recommend you consider filing for Bankruptcy.

Have you considered taking legal action against the primary borrower who 'took off with the car'? I assume that person has no assets, but if they do, you should consider suing them for what you end up having to pay (in small claims court if less than $4k).

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-18-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM
CYB

108 posts, read 270,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Car was repossessed, so most of the original principle is paid off, but any outstanding amount - I'm guessing a few thousand dollars - is still owed by the cosigners. Frankly, you signed for the debt, a lawyer isn't going to legally help you. A credit counselor might be able to help you work with the credit agency; usually debt is resold at a fraction of the original amount, so you can try paying less, but with "fresh" debt, its hard to make a deal since the value is still so high and they know who you are and how to contact you.

Collection agencies can contact you, but they can't take your property like your car. They could put a lien on anything you own for the debt though, which means they will get paid from any proceeds when you try and sell it.

You need to find your cosigner and get payment from them, or file a case against them in small claims court for the balance plus damages.

You should explain your situation and ask your questions here - CREDITBOARDS.COM - Home

What Sayantsi said.
They can't take your car unless you used it as collateral.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,659 times
disclaimer - not an attorney so not authorized to give legal advice. but i am a paralegal that has worked some creditor collections & can share my experience.

they could take your car, but only if they have a judgment against you & the judgment lien attaches. also, even though a car is repossessed, there will 99.99% of the time be remaining principal / interest / late charges / fees to pay, so just turning in a vehicle does not take you (or them) off the hook. that's the price of doing business & borrowing money to purchase an item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkreger
Before spending money on an attorney, try to contact the creditor / collection agency yourself. dedratermi is right, a collection agency (and your creditor) will almost always be willing to work out a payment plan. Also, if you have a sizeable lump sum (but less than what is owed), offer to pay a lump sum in exchange for a release of your debt.
i agree with this.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Generally a repossessed vehicle is sold for dimes on the dollar. Do not be surprised if a car worth $20,000 sold for under $5,000 at auction. The creditor does not care what it sells for, they will come after the borrrower. And buyers at auctions are leary since repossessed cars can be severely damaged by previous owner befor repo or by repo company. It's gamble for the buyers at auction so they usually go very cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary