Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times

Advertisements

In N.C., a new battle on school integration

This article paints the new boards direction as bad and a result of the Tea Party, as this previous article [ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lynn-p..._b_653358.html ], put it squarely on the shoulder of transplants.

To those who've said Tata's Facebook page matters, the Post article specifically references that Glenn Beck and Tea Party Patriots are among his "likes". Also, to those who have said Tata's presence may turn WCPSS local issues to a national one, or at the very least get national attention, seem to be right as well. Though since Tata came from DC the article may have special interest for the Post's readers.

Last edited by macjr82; 01-12-2011 at 07:40 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
HAH! I was right! TTT doesn't understand the power of the media -- whether that media is online or off.

He knows how to criticize it (as does Palin, another one he admires), but if he was truly an effective leader, he would know how to work with it and understand its very important role in our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post

To those who've said Tata's Faceook page doesn't matter, the Post article specifically references that Glenn Beck and Tea Party Patriots are among his "likes".

Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Raleigh and Wake county are falling apart before my eyes.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
In N.C., a new battle on school integration

This article paints the new boards direction as bad and a result of the Tea PArty, as this previous article [ Lynn Parramore: Trading Places: A North/South Reversal on Civil Rights ], put it squarely on the shoulder of transplants.

To those who've said Tata's Faceook page doesn't matter, the Post article specifically references that Glenn Beck and Tea Party Patriots are among his "likes". Also, to those who have said Tata's presence may turn WCPSS local issues to a national one, or at the very least get national attention, seem to be right as well. Though since Tata came from DC the article may have special interest for the Post's readers.
So are you saying the validation that accreditation offers might be more important moving forward as the very essence of public education in Wake County is coming under national scrutiny. Ouch! Perhaps now external validation becomes important.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Are you surprised that the Washington Post would paint the tea party in a negative light?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
HAH! I was right! TTT doesn't understand the power of the media -- whether that media is online or off.
He knows how to criticize it (as does Palin, another one he admires), but if he was truly an effective leader, he would know how to work with it and understand its very important role in our society.
I'm not defending his politics, but I don't really see how your statement follows from what he has on his Facebook page. I'm struggling to leap to the conclusion that Tata doesn't understand "the power of the media" just because he happens to have certain political views.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Are you surprised that the Washington Post would paint the tea party in a negative light?

No, and that's not the point. The point is the local situation with WCPSS being used nationally as a proxy to attack the tea aprty. Or a proxy to attack transplants. Or just it being made into a bigger/wider issue than it is. But then again, maybe it is that big.

Honestly I don't have a opinion on all of the surrounding issues and politics of the new school board. Though I do find it quite interesting. I do have an opinion specifically on the redistricting/busing though.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I'm more surprized that the Washington Post is even interested in Wake County schools

Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
"Usually, such large territory is divided into smaller districts with students assigned to the nearest schools."

This made me laugh out loud. Who defines 'Usually'? DC itself is surrounded by MASSIVE county wide school districts.

And although I can see many sides to this argument, This really struck me:
"Basically, all the problems have roots in the diversity policy," said Kathleen Brennan, who formed a parent group to challenge the system...."These people are patting themselves on the back and only 54 percent of [poor] kids are graduating. And I'm being painted a racist. But isn't it racist to have low expectations?"

Is that really true? graduation rate for poor kids is 54%? that sounds pretty racist to me. Segregation is a highly visible form of racism....

Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Default Well, yes but...

[quote=macjr82;17374543]No, and that's not the point. The point is the local situation with WCPSS being used nationally as a proxy to attack the tea aprty. Or a proxy to attack transplants. /quote]

Maybe, but didn't the board jump right in bed with the Tea party? They weren't shy or retiring about it. They were very open about the allegiance and about bringing party politics into the situation. So if their opponents take note of that, maybe it isn't a 'proxy' attack, but an actual attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary