Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times

Advertisements

We've never locked in the price for propane for the heating season, and last year we actually made out a bit better price wise for not locking in, but we're thinking of doing it for this coming season.

Those of you who have propane heat, will you be locking in, and what contract price per gallon are you being quoted?

Would appreciate hearing the ranges!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
We just got a new propane hookup last month and they filled the tank partially to start us off. I think that we paid $2.68+tax/gal, but not sure on that. Haven't crossed the "lock-in" bridge yet. We are with McLamb.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 PM

34 posts, read 85,379 times
I did not lock in at 2.40/gallon and now its $3.20 or so. They topped off the tank and it was like $650.

Anyone out there that is considering propane to heat the castle I highly recommend purchasing your own tank so you can shop for your product instead of getting raped regularly by the owner (gas company) of the tank.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
We own our tank, and decided not to lock in. We just had a fill at $2.449/gal.
and I thought *that* was high. Compared to your 3.20, I consider myself lucky.

I do believe you can switch companies if you want to. They have a way of "buying" the tank from each other to comply with their own regulation that prohibits them from filling another company's tank, a requirement that the companies themselves set up to minimize competition, and then set up a way around it.
Some may try to dissuade you by saying they will have to install a new tank, but that's not really so. You may find a company that is willing to work with you on that if you're persistent.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:07 AM

632 posts, read 1,845,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
They have a way of "buying" the tank from each other to comply with their own regulation that prohibits them from filling another company's tank, a requirement that the companies themselves set up to minimize competition, and then set up a way around it.
Not anymore--at least not with some companies. Our new house had a propane tank, and we tried to do just that, but they said they WOULD come and get their tank, that they would not sell or exchange their tank to another propane company. I didn't want our new lawn torn up, so we stayed with them but got a decent price this first time. I dread when we have to re-negotiate. We have a dual-fuel heating system, so we're using this first year to figure out how much propane we'll be using before making further decisions, etc. I do know we've used much less than my neighbor with a smaller house who heats exclusively with propane. I miss natural gas.....wish it were more widespread outside city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary