Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,265 times

Advertisements

I am in MA, but just few days ago my boss mentioned that our employer might be offering relocation to our other office in Cary NC & we might not have any option. I am excited as well as nervous about this news. I have been in MA from 10 years & i dont HATE it but i dont LOVE in here either. Few of my peers have moved to NC & they all have moved to Chapel Hill & travel to Cary for work. Our office in NC is on Weston Parkway (around 6000 Weston Parkway). They say its like 20-30 miles one way from them. I know that kind of commute is common in MA, but wanted to know if is it as common in NC as well. Those who moved to NC are not that open to discuss about the move.. may be they hate us as they were selected to move or they just don't like me.. Any insight about the commute norm in NC would be highly appreciated. I am sure the move stuff will not happen that fast as the last one took around an year to materialize.

Cheers
A2A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM

22 posts, read 52,034 times
I'm not sure what the "typical" commute in NC is. We moved from NJ to NC in August. I commute from Chapel Hill to Morrisville, and it is about 20 min. w/o traffic on I-40. People at work seem to think I live in another state and always talk about how far away Chapel Hill is. Coming from NJ, a 20 min. commute seems like a dream, and we LOVE Chapel Hill.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 8,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfam6 View Post
I'm not sure what the "typical" commute in NC is. We moved from NJ to NC in August. I commute from Chapel Hill to Morrisville, and it is about 20 min. w/o traffic on I-40. People at work seem to think I live in another state and always talk about how far away Chapel Hill is. Coming from NJ, a 20 min. commute seems like a dream, and we LOVE Chapel Hill.
njfam6, So true. I have lived in NJ for 4+ years & i know how it is in NJ. I used to be consultant back in NJ & most of the time i would end up having clients in NY. I ended up moving to LI & back to NJ cause of taxing issues & all that. Now I live close to work (Boston) but all of my guys stay far away which makes the commute anywhere between 40 min to 1-2 hours.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
A2A.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM

189 posts, read 507,839 times
I am guessing you are relocating through Fidelity.
Is there any specific reason you want to live in Chapel Hill vs Cary?
Although the commute in this area is not as bad as in larger metros, it makes more sense to live close to work. Many Fideltiy employees live in Cary/Apex too.
It would be best to visit the area before making a decision.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
While I'm usually the last person to recommend living in Cary, if you are going to work there, why not live there and eliminate the need for a commute?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,323 times
I don't think it's the miles that would bother me so much as the traffic. When I worked in an office I had a 40-50 minute commute, depending on if I got stuck behind a tractor leaving my house. Otherwise it was largely side roads to get to where I needed to be.

You could not pay me enough to have to commute on I-40.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 01-14-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
I'm confused as to why you feel the need to live in chapel hill? Especially when you already know where youll be working and seem like a commute would be a problem?

What does it matter what the "normal" commute is if its not right for you?! My suggestion, sign a short term lease in an apartment, and if you dont like the area, you can move until you find somewhere you like.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
People who are used to a long commute often adapt very well to a short commute. They find they have hours a month free to loaf, spend time with family, etc.
I would think it smart to live closer, whether Cary, Morrisville, or Raleigh, unless there is something specific about Chapel Hill that really floats your boat.
It's a great town and all, but car time is not quality time, IMO, and I get enough of it.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
Cary is a great place to live especially if your job is in Cary. No point to live in Chapel Hill over Cary unless there is something I'm missing.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Agree with the others, that you could live a LOT closer. There are some nice places very near to Weston Parkway. But if you insist on living in Chapel Hill, the exits on 40 are 266-273, and Harrison Avenue is the exit for Weston Parkway, it is exit 287. So you are looking at a 20-25 mile commute.

And don't let these people tell you about how bad I-40 is. Granted, I avoid it like the plague, but if you are coming from MA, it will be a cake-walk. Most of the time, the real traffic only occurs between Cary and the Airport (about 3 miles), and in general, you'd be going against it, as the majority of the traffic is from people working in RTP and living in Cary or Raleigh or etc.

While I would absolutely follow the advice to check out the area, maybe rent for a short time, and then make your best decision, I would NOT worry too much about the commute.

(FYI, I commute 37 miles each way, but through the country. I got a Honda Civic that gets good mpg and has a loud stereo and cruise control, and I enjoy it most of the time. Great time to undwind... I work 7-430 and my 37 mile drive is 40-45 minutes. If I decide to take 40, it adds about 5 miles and 10 minutes to the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary