Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times

Advertisements

IN today's N&0 it was reported that North Carolina's Hispanic population grew to more than 550,000 between 2000 and 2005, a 46 percent rise.

Here is the link:

www.newsobserver.com/102/story/477470.html (broken link)

For those in the area, is this accurate, I ask because what is actually going on and what these census and news reports are not always accurate.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 PM

26 posts, read 95,400 times
Remember that this number covers all of North Carolina, not just this area. The Hispanic population is growing everywhere and in particular in major cities.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd12345 View Post
I find that although I am not racist, I find that most hispanic people I have met are quite rude. I would prefer to live in an area where they do not live, and I wish they would not come to America in the droves they do.
Wow !! Good thing you are not a racist !!! Not sure what your experiences are (maybe you want to provide more details), or what is your background, but I wonder how much of that may be a difference in culture. I am hispanic, and being in New Jersey, I have met rude people from all nations, but I don't want to judge a whole culture based on those experiences. At the same time, I have met very nice people of all nationalities.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:57 PM

311 posts, read 618,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
IN today's N&0 it was reported that North Carolina's Hispanic population grew to more than 550,000 between 2000 and 2005, a 46 percent rise.

Here is the link:

www.newsobserver.com/102/story/477470.html (broken link)

For those in the area, is this accurate, I ask because what is actually going on and what these census and news reports are not always accurate.
Weis02, I didn't read yesterdays N&O so I am wondering did they also give any estimate as far as how many of this number are illegal? I have no problem with Hispanics, my problem is with illegal immigrants. Illegal to me means just that: Illegal; against the law.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
Weis02, I didn't read yesterdays N&O so I am wondering did they also give any estimate as far as how many of this number are illegal? I have no problem with Hispanics, my problem is with illegal immigrants. Illegal to me means just that: Illegal; against the law.

I feel the same way, I think most people will actually agree on this topic. There are alot of Hispanics in NC, and yeh many are illegal. It goes hand in hand with all the growth. Construction companies and so forth get rich by employing these people. The Charlotte Observer and local news does reporting on this time to time. While I know not ALL hispanics are illegal, I think the majority actually are.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
This is such a difficult subject, and I have to agree that a big part of me agrees with you (the logical part of me). Even though I had the fortune of coming to this country over 23 years ago legally, I have met many people who are here illegally, humbly working hard and trying to build a future for their families back home. Life is not easy for many of them under their circumstances, but they feel that they have no other choice. However, I realize that the problem can not be solved by simply allowing all people who struggle in their countries to come illegally. It has to stop sometime, or the impact to our economy will be one that will be hard to reverse.

That said, I would assume that most of those numbers include illegal immigrants. And I make that assumption because the US has tighter controls today compared to even 5 years ago, and getting permission in hispanic countries to enter the US legally is nearly impossible.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:06 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeNJ View Post
This is such a difficult subject, and I have to agree that a big part of me agrees with you (the logical part of me). Even though I had the fortune of coming to this country over 23 years ago legally, I have met many people who are here illegally, humbly working hard and trying to build a future for their families back home. Life is not easy for many of them under their circumstances, but they feel that they have no other choice. However, I realize that the problem can not be solved by simply allowing all people who struggle in their countries to come illegally. It has to stop sometime, or the impact to our economy will be one that will be hard to reverse.

That said, I would assume that most of those numbers include illegal immigrants. And I make that assumption because the US has tighter controls today compared to even 5 years ago, and getting permission in hispanic countries to enter the US legally is nearly impossible.
The bad thing is if you took a world wide poll of who wanted to live in America, probably 75% of the world would vote yes. That being said, we cannot take in every person who is struggling in their own country. It troubles me to see people here who could care less about being here illegally then screaming for their "rights".

Old 08-22-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
The bad thing is if you took a world wide poll of who wanted to live in America, probably 75% of the world would vote yes. That being said, we cannot take in every person who is struggling in their own country. It troubles me to see people here who could care less about being here illegally then screaming for their "rights".
I couldn't agree with you more...

Old 08-22-2006, 08:33 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times
The problem with the illegals and not all are hispanic, is as noted companies hire them because they are cheaper - while our policticians say out of one side "We need to crack down on them" they then go to these areas to win their votes...(those who can vote)

on top of it all, the illegal ones are allowed to use our schools, more children, more money and the property owners get hit, they come here to make money yet do not pay into the system - if the US cracked down on 1/2 of them can you imagine how much more money the fed govert would have from their income and the states???

We need to start taking care of our own, the people in MI who lost their jobs due to the automakers, the people in NC who lost textile jobs- many here in NY who are still without work due to 9/11 and the list goes on and on...

Instead we hurt those who are honestly here trying to earn a living and the live the American Dream.

We all know who uses migrant and illegal workers, let the govt start fining them and charging them higher taxes, then maybe they would realize in the long run they may pay more for the honest working guy but in the long run it would benefit all, even them, penny wise, dollar foolish

Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 AM

34 posts, read 33,968 times
Why is it that most spanish people refuse to learn English, and if they do know it, they still insist on speaking Spanish in all public situations. They make it hard for people who work in retail to get jobs without being bilingual. This causes a lot of people unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary