Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:29 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
Geez. There are way too many mental issues that have nothing to do with drug abuse. Assuming that someone who does something this crazy is hooked on drugs is going way, way, way out on a limb
Totally agree!

Sometimes folks with mental illness "self-medicate" with both legal and illegal drugs.

I have a sibling with a severe mental illness who uses illegal substances which unfortunately exacerbate her condition.

Once someone is over the age of 18, it is very difficult to mandate treatment for mental illness. As the investigation unfolds, I imagine it will be revealed if he had ever been diagnosed or sought treatment for an illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
Geez. There are way too many mental issues that have nothing to do with drug abuse. Assuming that someone who does something this crazy is hooked on drugs is going way, way, way out on a limb

I know I wasn't implying that it was a drug thing... I was just talking about drug abuse as it relates to income level.

Who knows what was going on in that young man's mind when he held people hostage and forced the cops to shoot him?

Maybe he was just depressed, period.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM

633 posts, read 1,165,108 times
Geez. There are way too many mental issues that have nothing to do with drug abuse. Assuming that someone who does something this crazy is hooked on drugs is going way, way, way out on a limb>>>>

No, it's not. I have over a decades experience working with mentally ill patients, rehab and MICA. Look up the facts, many, many patients exacerbate their mental illness with drugs, and many many drugs bring out mental illness. The majority of schizophrenics and bipolar population are not a danger to anyone but themselves. Again, don't take my word for it. Look up statistics....

Drug use makes people very grandiose.

I am not implying that mentally ill people are NEVER violent or that all of them use drugs at all.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM

633 posts, read 1,165,108 times
Look this up too...how many people incarcerated are there because of drugs/substance abuse? We aren't talking just drug charges, we are talking violent crimes, crimes of passion, etc. We are talking about poor choices made because of addiction, or owing some dealer a load of cash, domestic abuse, DWI, theft, prostitution, breaking into a car for an ipod.... (Kids that do that have a drug problem, they aren't looking for kicks).

Males 90%, females 67%

Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Unless someone has personal information about this individual, this is all speculation and getting way off-topic -- so let's please keep the discussion on the incident, itself.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:05 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,584,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Dittos to you! Fact is, some of these situations may end faster if people were allowed to carry in a bank. Banks are 1 of the off limit places for the armed citizen. That emboldens a crook, as he is pretty sure everyone in the bank is unarmed and helpless. An armed customer may sometimes be able to take out a robber before the situation builds. Naturally, a person should use good judgment as to what chance he has of success & not a bad blunder.
The fact that no one, except the offender was killed or injured doesn't really support your argument that CCW holders should be able to carry in a bank. One could view that part of the law is specifically so someone can't waltz into a bank with a gun and make the excuse, oh I wasn't going to rob the bank, just opening an account. If you go into a bank with a gun you need to be viewed as hostile with the intent to commit a crime.

I can understand that customer with large cash deposit should be able to protect that, but they can leave the gun in the car. It's short distance after that to the teller/drop box.

Some situations need to be left for the police to deal with, because the CCW training class certainly doesn't equip you do deal with any situation like this and if everyone started pulling a gun, it certainly will make it hard for the police to tell who the bad guy is.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
One could view that part of the law is specifically so someone can't waltz into a bank with a gun and make the excuse, oh I wasn't going to rob the bank, just opening an account. If you go into a bank with a gun you need to be viewed as hostile with the intent to commit a crime.
You can't make that argument at all because a person who has a CCW permit will be carrying the gun CONCEALED which means you wouldn't see it therefore wouldn't know they have it.

Quote:
I can understand that customer with large cash deposit should be able to protect that, but they can leave the gun in the car. It's short distance after that to the teller/drop box.
That's no different than having a loaded magazine in a pistol without a round in the chamber. You might as well not even have a gun. You need to understand that the majority of CCW holders carry simply for life safety. We aren't Pinkerton guards. I won't speak for others but if someone wanted to rob me regardless of how much cash I have I wouldn't shoot them to protect the money. First degree robbery doesn't bring the death penalty. They can have the money. However, one could get charged with the death penalty for a murder one charge. If they decide to pull a gun on me I feel they have decided they would do whatever it takes to rob me including murdering me. That deserves the death penalty. Now, granted, if someone gets "the drop" on me a loaded pistol on the side won't do any good, either. But if the criminal slips up for one second "the drop" can be reversed.

Quote:
Some situations need to be left for the police to deal with, because the CCW training class certainly doesn't equip you do deal with any situation like this and if everyone started pulling a gun, it certainly will make it hard for the police to tell who the bad guy is.
You are correct. Some situation do need to be left up to the police and those situations would be the ones where the innocent don't take the necessary precautions to protect their self. That is why a CCW permit is not a requirement. But, I assure you, those of us who have a CCW permit and actually carry everyday take the time to train and continue education. If I had to place a wager on who's the better shooter between a randomly selected police officer and a randomly selected CCW holder I'd put my money on the CCW holder. A prime example of this is the show "Top Shot". Very few contestants are police officers. In fact, there is a contestant on the new season from Raleigh. He owns PDHSC shooting range in S. Raleigh.

Last edited by underPSI; 02-16-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I read the wral.com blurb earlier tonight. If the police department gets hit with a lawsuit or some such, that'll be a terrible shame.

The young man showed up pretending to have a gun. He never asked for money, just for the bank tellers to call the police. A standoff ensued, and he ultimately came out holding something to the head of an innocent bystander. The teller.

What were the cops supposed to do? He forced them to put him completely out of commission in order to save the hostage. He wanted them to shoot him.

This story isn't even sort of confusing.

The only real question in this tragedy is: why did he do it?

I know why the cops shot him. Anyone with any sense can see that.
Some of the friends and family members of this person felt that he shouldn't have been shot. I disagree. Based on the information that the police had, this seems to have been the best way of keeping the public and the hostage safe and alive.

Some of the friends and family members feel that the situation wasn't handled as well as it should have been. Again, I disagree. Where were all these "friends and family members" when this guy showed signs he needed help?

I feel more sorry for those that were held hostage, were told by this guy that he had a gun and felt that their life was in danger for 3 hours.

Some of these hostages will need psychological help. None of them asked for this. THEY are the ones that I feel for.

I worked as a bank teller 19 years ago and was robbed. However, that robber was in and out of the bank within minutes. Yes, he had a gun. Yes, he pointed it at every one of us. I can't imagine having to endure that for 3 hours. So, as sad as it is that this guy was shot, it was what he wanted. None of the hostages wanted this.

Vicki

Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Vicki,

That's horrible! Having been in a scary situation before that involved guns, I can imagine how frightened you felt. I was thinking of the hostage when I saw the footage of the police shooting him. Can you imagine how she felt? She probably thought he was about to shoot her in the head.

THAT is scary.

And people think the cops handled it badly? How? I thought they did a fine job.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You can't make that argument at all because a person who has a CCW permit will be carrying the gun CONCEALED which means you wouldn't see it therefore wouldn't know they have it.

That's no different than having a loaded magazine in a pistol without a round in the chamber. You might as well not even have a gun. You need to understand that the majority of CCW holders carry simply for life safety. We aren't Pinkerton guards. I won't speak for others but if someone wanted to rob me regardless of how much cash I have I wouldn't shoot them to protect the money. First degree robbery doesn't bring the death penalty. They can have the money. However, one could get charged with the death penalty for a murder one charge. If they decide to pull a gun on me I feel they have decided they would do whatever it takes to rob me including murdering me. That deserves the death penalty. Now, granted, if someone gets "the drop" on me a loaded pistol on the side won't do any good, either. But if the criminal slips up for one second "the drop" can be reversed.

You are correct. Some situation do need to be left up to the police and those situations would be the ones where the innocent don't take the necessary precautions to protect their self. That is why a CCW permit is not a requirement. But, I assure you, those of us who have a CCW permit and actually carry everyday take the time to train and continue education. If I had to place a wager on who's the better shooter between a randomly selected police officer and a randomly selected CCW holder I'd put my money on the CCW holder. A prime example of this is the show "Top Shot". Very few contestants are police officers. In fact, there is a contestant on the new season from Raleigh. He owns PDHSC shooting range in S. Raleigh.
Sooo ... what would you have done if you were in the bank, carrying, when all this went down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary