Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM

9 posts, read 16,926 times

Advertisements

Looking for a summer resident camp... what ones would you recommend and what ones would you stay away from .... (in NC)

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM

477 posts, read 1,420,950 times
Coast or the mountains?

At the coast, the Y camps are VERY popular with families from Wake County (Camp Seagull and Camp Seafarer). They may already be full for this summer since the same kids return year after year.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,684,602 times
at the coast you cant beat the seafarer camps - they have one for boys and one for girls. pricey though, but awesome.

Camp Sea Gull and Camp Seafarer: North Carolina Sailing Camp, North Carolina YMCA Summer Camp, North Carolina Family Camp, North Carolina Spring Camp, North Carolina Fall Camp, North Carolina Conference Centers, Corporate Training and Leadership Trai

Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,144,259 times
Kids can also go to resident girl or boy scout camp even if they are not registered with scouts. They're very affordable!
Camp Kanata is also very popular. Camp Kanata (http://www.campkanata.org/resident_camp/resident_camp.html - broken link)

Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,295,229 times
My kids always went to New Life Camp (Falls of THE Neuse Rd.) but it was only a weekly camp. And my daughter also went to Camp Oak Hill (also weekly, although I think they had a 2 week camp). Both are Christian affiliated camps so there is some religious education. My daughter went year after year so she really enjoyed both camps.

Vicki

Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM

We've heard great things about Camp Seafarer... Curious about the mountains too though. and yes some are very pricey. There are many local camps too - Camp Kanta for instance - that are a lot less pricey. I'm curious from those that know how different they are and what makes one better. Maybe a hard question. We talked to many camp staff members at the Camp Fair last weekend, but I'd like to hear from parents who know first hand.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 AM

A week long camp is more what we'd like to start. Many of the camps are 2 weeks + which I'm not sure will work for us in many ways.

Thanks for the many suggestions so far.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:37 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,684,602 times
seafarer has a week program depending on the age of the child- their youngest group is a week long i know...

Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,616,147 times
Camps in the mountains are Camp Cheerio and Camp Hanes. Hanes is mostly kids from Winston-Salem/triad area from what we gathered from it . We sent our kids to Cheerio a few times years ago and they loved it; much more of an "all of NC" kids camp. Though it is fairly expensive ($800 a week).

Camp Kanata didn't have AC at the time, not sure if it does now. With Kanata being in Raleigh; having our kids in the sweltering mid-summer Raleigh days with no AC to go into was not an option. Though it is a unique and more affordable camp with most of the same amenities as those in the mountains and on the beach.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 AM

I don't think Camp Kanata has air conditioning as "fans" are on the packing list... :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary