Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times

Advertisements

I am considering getting a home energy audit done by a professional. I'd like someone to be able to come into my home and tell us how we can make it more energy efficient. Has anyone else had this done? I'm not sure what type of companies provide this service. Do they need a special license or something? Names and experiences are appreciated (if allowed by TOS that is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
I think energy audits are great. I do have a thought on the subject though ; You may want to first take care of the obvious like adding insulation, closing up the crawlspace, weatherstripping, etc and then bring them in.They can really fine tune the house and that is what they excel at. If you shore up the major standard items first, the minor may be much more noticeable to devices they use when you bring the experts in.
I believe there are a couple posters on here that are directly involved in that business too. I know MikeNC29 is well versed in the subject. One great starting point would be Advanced Energy, an Energy Efficiency Services Firm
They are a group of building scientists out of N.C. State that basically wrote the book energy savings and have a wealth of information. If you have crawlspace or insulation related questions, that is an area of expertise for me and will be happy to give you advice in direct message.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
We just had Peak Energy do some work for us. Great experience.

Peak Energy, Inc. Holly Springs NC | Home Comfort Energy Efficiency

Frank

Old 02-14-2011, 04:05 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I had gotten something in the mail from PSNC that if your home was natural gas and if your home was built before 1993, they would do an audit for $25.

I never got around to calling but the website is PSNC Energy - In-Home Energy Audit.

Vicki

Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I had gotten something in the mail from PSNC that if your home was natural gas and if your home was built before 1993, they would do an audit for $25.

I never got around to calling but the website is PSNC Energy - In-Home Energy Audit.

Vicki
Thanks Vicki! You know, I thought PSNC would do it, but I must have overlooked it on the website.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:47 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,055 times
Thanks for this info. I will be watching this thread. Have been wanted to do the same, but worried that energy audits have been one of the "hot fields" that tons of people are hanging out a shingle and say is there profession after taking a short course. Those people may be fine after they get some experience, but I wanted to make sure I got someone experienced and was not just trying to sell me insulation or something.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Thanks for this info. I will be watching this thread. Have been wanted to do the same, but worried that energy audits have been one of the "hot fields" that tons of people are hanging out a shingle and say is there profession after taking a short course. Those people may be fine after they get some experience, but I wanted to make sure I got someone experienced and was not just trying to sell me insulation or something.
There is plenty of truth in that statement. You can take a relatively short course and become an "expert". There are plenty of bona fide experts though, just do your diligence in checking them out.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM

82 posts, read 148,395 times
My family's company does energy audits, and I totally agree with this:
Quote:
but worried that energy audits have been one of the "hot fields" that tons of people are hanging out a shingle and say is there profession after taking a short course. Those people may be fine after they get some experience, but I wanted to make sure I got someone experienced and was not just trying to sell me insulation or something.
First, you need someone BPI certified to do the audit, and second, find someone who has been doing it a while.
As for the PSNC audit, it's a start...but you get what you pay for. We've done weatherization for people who've had the PSNC audits and we've often had to do another audit to 'interpret' their results. That said, they're only $25, so you might as well go for it and see what they say. Depending on your home and what you understand about weatherization and energy efficiency already it might work for you.
I'd also be wary of companies that do a free audit and follow up with a list of improvements. It's hard to tell if what they want you to do is legit or not. You can find plenty of energy auditors who operate independently, or you can go with a company that does both, but charges you for the audit and follows up with a quote, which you can then compare to a quote from other weatherization companies. Our company follows the 2nd model, but we'll also quote on work suggested by other auditors.
Hope that makes sense! An energy audit can really, really pay off in the long run.
A

Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM

30 posts, read 86,191 times
Yes, thanks for the link. I've been thinking about doing this for a while so I filled out the contact form on the PSNC site. I figure for $25 I'll at least become more knowledgeable about the subject and decide if I need a more thorough audit and/or if I can so some stuff by myself. I'll post about how it goes with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary