Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 PM

379 posts, read 959,533 times

Advertisements

It would be a cold day in H-E double Hockey Stickes before I'd go back to NY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:00 AM

248 posts, read 754,606 times
As far as boredom this area now offers everything but professional sports(except the Hurricanes) but who needs them anyway when you have world class college athletics. We have the DPAC which just made the top ten ticket sales, live music (very little sells out so tickets are alwas available), theatre local and national, team USA baseball, CASL soccer, parks, bike path's , hunting , fishing , beach and mountains within 2 hrs,opera, state fair, arts festivals, beer festivals, farmers market, etc. You have to keep your eyes and ears open , the best resources are N&O friday weekend section and the independant

Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times
I think the Triangle has plenty of things to do and is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. It's growing because people realize this. I just hope it never takes on the feel of NY/CA/FL.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 AM

19 posts, read 55,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
the way I see it, if NY/Nj/FL folks like it here, they probably don't fit the stereotype. For those that do fit the stereoptype and can't stand Hicksville/Mayberry -dont' let the door hit ya............
The streotype isn't Hicksville/Mayberry.

It's Mini Vans/Soccer Moms.

This is a melting pot in which the already melted gather to be re-melted.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice enough place, but it's very vanilla (and I don't mean that in a racial sense, but perhaps an ethnic diversity sense).

I moved here for a very specific, family reason. I basically had to. I've always said that there are certainly worse places. All in all, it's a very pleasant place. But pleasant can get old in a hurry.

I think pleasant is what people want here, and that's fine. But this BS about "Don't let the door hit..." is a brainless slogan repeated by people who don't give anything very much thought.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:11 AM

19 posts, read 55,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
The triangle has always been a very transient area. People come and go often, mostly due to work transfers (a joke I'd heard more than a few times was that IBM, a major employer in the region, actually stands for "I've Been Moved" because they transfer people so much). Though it kept things sort of interesting, it also always made the area feel very un-homey to us. That was a reason for moving back to NY, which kind of goes along with the missing family thing. Granted we were also relocating back to Upstate NY where the cost of living is about on par with that of NC if not a little lower; which is certainly not the case for folks from the tri-state area.
You put it much better than I did.

It's like living in a nice, well maintained corporate apartment.

No real sense of place.

I see the big RBC "skyscraper" as a metaphor. That awful thing at the top of it just looks like a weak, discount effort to approximate the Chrysler Building. It comes off looking like a cheap imitation.

Is NYC perfect? God no. But it is, at least, of itself.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I had one older couple that moved down here to get away from the cold weather in Long Island. They hoped that once they moved down, their son and his family would follow. They lived here for 2 years but the n'hood they lived in was a smaller one and not too friendly. Once they realized the son and his family were not coming down, they made the decision to move back to NY.

Sometimes, I think people move here in hopes of becoming happier. Sometimes they say the weather is the reason and sometimes it is the cost of living. However, leaving family behind is difficult. My parents did it many years ago and my mom was very unhappy for more than half of her life. Sad to watch and I would NEVER live somewhere that I was THAT unhappy.

So, I give credit to those that attempt to make their life better by moving here. But, sometimes people don't realize that just moving isn't going to make them happier. Moving back is ALWAYS an option and that is what they should do. However, sometimes I think those people don't want to take the credit for their own unhappiness and feel like they need to blame someone/something. I don't think Raleigh/Cary makes them unhappy. I think it is partly their attitude, partly not doing enough research and partly not understanding themsevles and how difficult it may be to leave family and friends.

Vicki

Vicki

Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 AM

441 posts, read 1,292,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScrapmom View Post
You would have to drag me kicking and screaming back to Florida.

dido - but to NY

Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM

323 posts, read 634,135 times
Vicki R,

Totally agree with you. Ultimately, I am a pretty happy, optimistic person where ever I am. I figure I should make it work, and try to be happy on a daily basis. Why not? I don't want to live my life miserable. Also trying to teach my kids to make the best of it, and follow your interests where ever they are. I have moved before, and think that many of the issues with moving happen to people that are moving in a reactionary way, and probably for the first time.

But, looking into the future, I don't want to deal with winter (I have lived in HI, so I know what year-round summer feels like), and it also gave me a chance to live a totally different life style. And, I've never forgotten it!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:58 AM

323 posts, read 634,135 times
Moondawg,

The comment about Raleigh being a large, well-maintained corporate apartment complex hit home. That's the feeling my wife got from it. And we are not part of that corporate life, so for us, it may not work. I need one more trip down.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
Vicki R,

Totally agree with you. Ultimately, I am a pretty happy, optimistic person where ever I am. I figure I should make it work, and try to be happy on a daily basis. Why not? I don't want to live my life miserable. Also trying to teach my kids to make the best of it, and follow your interests where ever they are. I have moved before, and think that many of the issues with moving happen to people that are moving in a reactionary way, and probably for the first time.

But, looking into the future, I don't want to deal with winter (I have lived in HI, so I know what year-round summer feels like), and it also gave me a chance to live a totally different life style. And, I've never forgotten it!
I wonder if it is easier for men to move than women?

Happy wife, happy life?!!

It sounds like you are thinking it through and that is a big part of it.

My son lives in Florida and loves it. Comes home for Christmas and freezes! I love Florida in December but NOT in August! But you never know!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary