Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM

43 posts, read 98,501 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, so I am coming to visit the area this 4 day weekend with an eye towards looking at the area to see if it someplace I would want to move to. So with that in mind I wanted advice from others, especially those who moved down here from elsewhere. What type of things should i see? What did you look for when you looked at the area? Any must see sites or is there a downtown to walk around in? When you went down there to visit what made you say, yup this is where i want to be?

As of now the plan is to drive around the different neighborhoods we have been looking at houses/apartments in like Cary & Raleigh. Checking out the city. Just really trying to get an overall idea of what the area is like.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM

147 posts, read 370,204 times
Bayside, Queens? we are coming from Astoria

Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Thanksgiving weekend? Avoid all shopping centers at all costs lol.

What sort of things are you interested in seeing? Museums? Nightlife? Restaurant scene?

Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Do a search for questions that come to mind, areas, and neighborhoods. Pretty much everything has been asked before...

Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Make a few lists of things before you get here; things you must have to be happy, things that you really would like to have, and things that will make you miserable. Then go out and find those things.

For example, a large variety of ethnic restaurants within a fifteen minute drive was a must have for me. Costco, independent movie theaters and Trader Joes within thirty minutes. A good pool hall with afternoon players within 45 minutes for my husband was an absolute, non negotiable requirement. A decent selection of standard grocery stores (non organic) was another important issue. A few local bars that wouldn't require a long drive home. Single story homes (no stairs!!!) in a community with other seniors.

With a very good realtor and our priorities and needs clearly defined, we found the ideal community within 18 hours of our first visit.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM

232 posts, read 552,909 times
We checked out places we'd go in our every day life: a few neighborhoods we'd researched ahead of time, parks, grocery stores, the NC Farmer's Market, a church, the library, restaurants, etc.

Just an FYI - the NC History Museum has a Gone With the Wind exhibit going on. Free admission. That, combined with the NC Museum of Natural Sciences (also free) next door makes for a nice outing.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideJR View Post
I wanted advice from others, especially those who moved down here from elsewhere.
When you went down there to visit what made you say, yup this is where i want to be?
One piece of advice I would offer about adapting to and appreciating Raleigh and the Triangle area is to try to stop referring to it as "down there," as though you're going underground or descending into Hades. I say that not to pass judgement, but as a sincere suggestion that I think is psychologically useful. The Triangle is a place in its own right, just as wherever you're coming from is a place in its own right, and it has its own strengths and weaknesses that are most fairly and accurately evaluated on their own, rather than primarily in relation to some place else. I think (based on my experience, and being originally a transplant from elsewhere, too) that phrases like "down there" make it harder to do that. "Down there" is entirely relative, and the Triangle is not intrinsically any more "down there" than wherever you live now, or any other place, and so speaking of it that way I don't think is helpful. Just my two cents.

In any case, welcome in advance to town, best of luck, and happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,152 times
Looking at a few neighborhoods is a good idea. We actually met with a realtor when we did our first visit to the area, got someone working for us here while we were still closing out the old house & settling my husband into his new job.

Do you have a job lined up? If so drive by the office & see where it is, how the commute might be & what is around the office/building. Knowing work location can also help with the neighborhoods you want to visit.

Stop by the visitors' center. We found them to be a great resource
They can give you information on the area & suggestions on things to do & see. I believe they also have some information for people new to the area.
Durham, NC - Official Visitors and Newcomers Information

As others said, consider what is important to you. If you want sports or a specific church or shows or whatever, see what is in the area that would work for you. For example, if you are a die hard football fan, are you good with college ball? Or driving to Charlotte for pro games?

Look at some other things too, like gas prices. Stop by a grocery store & see how prices are compared to where you are now. Unfortunately with Black Friday I wouldn't hit the mall, but consider those types of things and how the cost of living may impact your lifestyle if you make the move.

When we moved, it was job related so not much choice in terms of being in this area. That said, we selected Durham because it just seemed like a cool place to be. We love the Durham Bulls, Carolina Theatre, DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center), the various concerts & shows going on around town, cute little farmers' market & amazing restaurants. Having Duke Univ. here just added to the things we can see & do so for us it was an easy choice.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
One piece of advice I would offer about adapting to and appreciating Raleigh and the Triangle area is to try to stop referring to it as "down there," as though you're going underground or descending into Hades. I say that not to pass judgement, but as a sincere suggestion that I think is psychologically useful. The Triangle is a place in its own right, just as wherever you're coming from is a place in its own right, and it has its own strengths and weaknesses that are most fairly and accurately evaluated on their own, rather than primarily in relation to some place else. I think (based on my experience, and being originally a transplant from elsewhere, too) that phrases like "down there" make it harder to do that. "Down there" is entirely relative, and the Triangle is not intrinsically any more "down there" than wherever you live now, or any other place, and so speaking of it that way I don't think is helpful. Just my two cents.

In any case, welcome in advance to town, best of luck, and happy Thanksgiving!
Wow, did it ever occur to you this person is speaking in purely geographical terms? I'm a person who sees things visually - when I think of north I think of "up"...and so on. I had this same conversation with a friend of mine ...we were with a woman who kept saying she was going "up to Fuquay Varina" and my friend was like "why does she keep saying UP when it's south of here" - we both had a good laugh over our geographical hysteria

I wouldn't read any more into it than that. Certainly not that the OP thinks of "down here" as akin to Hades

Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wow, did it ever occur to you this person is speaking in purely geographical terms? I'm a person who sees things visually - when I think of north I think of "up"...and so on. I had this same conversation with a friend of mine ...we were with a woman who kept saying she was going "up to Fuquay Varina" and my friend was like "why does she keep saying UP when it's south of here" - we both had a good laugh over our geographical hysteria

I wouldn't read any more into it than that. Certainly not that the OP thinks of "down here" as akin to Hades
^^ This ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary