Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 19,065 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving our family (5 and 2 year old) from North of Boston to the North Carolina area. I work in banking and am looking to relocate to a nice, family friendly area, find a job in banking and live in an area with a better cost of living than Massachusetts.

I've looked at the Durham, Cary, Wake Forest areas, but we want a nice community, bigger house (<$300,000) and a safe place to raise a young family.

My wife works in the medical field, so this seems like a good fit, but I will need to land a job in the banking field.

Any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
CRAPLOADS of us down there! The area your looking into would be good for your needs, I got some friends down there nice place. your should also consider VA, same deal, cheap (not NC cheap) but still way cheaper than the Boston area tons of NE transplants to make you feel at home and a lot closer to drive back.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs033 View Post
I work in banking and am looking to relocate to a nice, family friendly area, find a job in banking...

Any advice???
The proper order should be:

1. Find a job
2. THEN Relocate...

Yes, the area meets your wants.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 19,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The proper order should be:

1. Find a job
2. THEN Relocate...

Yes, the area meets your wants.

Oh, trust me - that will be the order!!! Not a good economy to give up a job and find a house!!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times
Traditionally more banking jobs are in Charlotte as opposed to Raleigh/Durham but with Wachovia being acquired by Wells Fargo some of those jobs are being eliminated.
Quality of life between Raleigh and Charlotte is fairly similar (at least compared to Boston).
If you move here, you'll have to become a Canes fan

Frank

Old 03-09-2011, 03:59 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Talking Hmmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Traditionally more banking jobs are in Charlotte as opposed to Raleigh/Durham but with Wachovia being acquired by Wells Fargo some of those jobs are being eliminated.
Quality of life between Raleigh and Charlotte is fairly similar (at least compared to Boston).
If you move here, you'll have to become a Canes fan

Frank

Does he have to either,

A. Have a job

Or,

B. Move here

...to be a Canes fan?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 PM

81 posts, read 173,431 times
Hey-check out Credit Suisse via their website-they have openings in RTP. Bring some fresh Samuel Adams from Germania Street!!! Check out Apex as well very family friendly-only advice is come down with a job and live close to work!! Go Canes and the Durham Bulls-

Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM

10 posts, read 29,414 times
Triangle Red Sox Nation may be of interest - check meetup.com. Lots of transplants due to Fidelity and other moves over the past few years.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,556 times
I cant speak for the job aspect, but as a MA transplant to NC and a parent of 3 children, this area has what you are looking for in regards to the other aspects. I would highly suggest driving down to get a look at the area before you make a commitment though. What is one persons dream area is another persons nightmare.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM

596 posts, read 1,239,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs033 View Post
My wife and I are considering moving our family (5 and 2 year old) from North of Boston to the North Carolina area. I work in banking and am looking to relocate to a nice, family friendly area, find a job in banking and live in an area with a better cost of living than Massachusetts.

I've looked at the Durham, Cary, Wake Forest areas, but we want a nice community, bigger house (<$300,000) and a safe place to raise a young family.

My wife works in the medical field, so this seems like a good fit, but I will need to land a job in the banking field.

Any advice???
Please think it over well before you move, after living in So Fl for nearly 30 yrs and born and raised in NYC. This is a beautiful state but without freinds and family it gets very lonely and boring after a short while, again I am not trashing NC but it takes a lot of effort to make it work, it lacks that "Big City" feel. It tries but in my opinion it fails, again having lived in FT Lauderdale and NYC. Having school age children I imagine will help a great deal because you meet people a little easier through your kids, school etc. It lacks decent Mass transit, as does So Fl. Most of the fun stuff that we do involves day trips to the mountains or the beach, but with gas prices rising, that gets expensive. Though I love the Mountains. Again first and foremost what makes it easier to adjust here is Family or friends, and without neither I am miserable at times ! So please think it out, and best of luck to you and your family !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary