Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,587 times

Advertisements

I have 3 kids ages 15, 11, and 8 who are tracked out until the 1st week of April. I'd like to find some fun day trips or possibly overnights that we can do that would be inexpensive and both fun and educational for them. Driving time should be maybe under 2.5-3 hours b/c I'd be on my own while hubby works (I work flex time).

Any suggestions? I have heard about a couple of aquariums on the coast....how are they? We lived in FL before this so we've seen some pretty cool sea museums/aquariums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
There are four aquariums:

North Carolina Aquariums » Home

If you compare them to any in Florida, you will be quite disappointed. They're nice to go to if you happen to be in the area and you have other things scheduled as well.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,728 times
Get a zoo membership or an aquarium membership and you can go to both. They are reciprocal. It only takes two visits to the zoo to pay for the membership. The aquariums are not large, but they are focused on NC sea animals. Go to Wilmington and you could go see the USS North Carolina, drive on to Southport, take the ferry to Ft. Fisher, go to the aquarium, and loop back through Carolina Beach.

The zoo is about 1 1/2 hours away: NC Zooâ„¢ - North Carolina Zoo : Zoo Homepage

I think Bennett Place is well worth seeing: NC Historic Sites - Bennett Place
Put it together with Duke Homestead and fill a day: NC Historic Sites - Duke Homestead

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
Go to the zoo if you like to walk a lot. I love zoos, but that one is just too huge with not enough animals to make it worthwhile.

But you should go at least once; maybe you'll feel differently.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
The Ripley's Acquarium at Myrtle Beach is quite nice although that is a 3 hour trip.

Museum in Durham (can't think of the name but it has the Butterfly house).

Chapel Hill has a Planatarium.

Numerous parks in the area...Lake Crabtree park has a playground, trails. Some of the other lakes have paddle boats, etc.

Vicki

Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
I'll second the USS North Carolina and the Ft Fisher Aquarium. You can also add the Maritime Musuem at Southport to that list. At the same time you won't be too far from the Ripley attractions and other things at Myrtle Beach. It's still the off season so hotels shuld be cheap. If you're willing to listen to someone try to sell you a timeshare they'd probably pay you to stay.
USS North Carolina Battleship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_North_Carolina_(BB-55)

North Carolina Aquariums » North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher
North Carolina Aquariums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Carolina Maritime Museum at Southport
North Carolina Maritime Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also drive 2hrs down east to New Bern to see Tryon Palace.
Tryon Palace - New Bern, North Carolina - Home
Tryon Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the same trip you can go further down 70 so that you can hit up Beaufort and Bogue Banks for the historical atrractions there and another aquarium.

About the NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort
North Carolina Maritime Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Fort Macon State Park
Fort Macon State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Carolina Aquariums » North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores

And then there's always the outer banks:

Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum - America's Maritime History

Bodie Island Light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Carolina Aquariums » North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island

Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 AM

223 posts, read 576,944 times
I imagine that there would be "lots" to see and do in Charlotte, especially historic sites. Maybe throw in an afternoon tea?

Unfortunately, I haven't explored Charlotte yet beyond Ikea and Carowinds so I don't have much to recommend. (I believe Carowinds is open in April on weekends).

Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
I wanted to add these pics of Fort macons interior just to show it's a museum as well. Though the above link states it, it doesn't show it.

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: Fort Macon State Park - Sights and Sounds

Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,516 times
Richmond? My nieces (who are close in age to your girls) love the Children's Museum. Plan Your Visit to the Children's Museum of Richmond! | Children's Museum of Richmond.

Many other things to do as well. I love Richmond! The Fan District is especially beautiful.

Richmond Museums- RMCVB- Virginia Museum Guide, Richmond Attractions, VA

Last edited by NCInMyMind; 03-19-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,840 times
I agree with Richmond, it's a very cool place to visit! Lots of neat history and you can check out the Riverwalk if the weather is good.

Also, Maymont park is realllllllly cool, historic home and gardens. And the Ginter Botanic Gardens might interest you as well.

GOofy as it may sound, Hollywood Cemetary is also a neat place to visit...lots of cool sculptural elements, take a camera and do some photograpy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary