Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM

39 posts, read 209,328 times

Advertisements

It's only about two weeks until our move to Cary from Phoenix. I'm trying to plan out some summer activities for my kids. Do you have any recommendations?

We will be living in The Park at Westlake. Cary city limits, Apex zip code.

Usually here we do Vacation Bible School and a Summer Recreation program through the city. Is there anything like that in the area? The summer will be shorter due to the year round school, but if I don't have anything planned we will all be driven a little nuts. My kids are 8, 6 & almost 3.

Also does the city of Cary offer swimming lessons? Where would be a good place to look for that?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,683 times
You will hopefully enjoy the summer here - less hot in temperature but more 'hot' in humidity - I mention this to keep in mind as you are looking at summer camps.

So, the nice thing is that it is usually coolest in the mornings and warms up throughout the day. hit the playgrounds at the parks early - then move on to a pool, then inside as it gets hotter!

I don't live in Cary but I googled the parks and rec link for you: Programs and Classes

I live in the Raleigh and love the programs there throughout the years for my kids so parks and rec offerings are definitely worth looking into.

Lots of VBS around here -- the churches all have signs up and some have them listed on their websites. It is worth a google search for churches close to your location and then making some phone calls to find out when their VBS is scheduled. There are so many around here, you could spend your summer doing VBS! Some have VBS during day and some in the evening hours. So make sure you ask the time as well as the dates.

As far as museums - there are loads of free things to do - NC Museum of Art, NC Museum of Science as well as 'pay for' the Museum of Life & Science in Durham and Marbles Kids Museum in Raleigh. Then, you have the planetarium in chapel hill which is fun to do at any age.

If you want to drop $60-100, then you might consider 'frankies' off of Alexander Drive and Rte 70 in Raleigh - It gets pricey quickly so get ready to set limits before you go so it doesn't cost you a fortune!

Best of luck on your move.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,029,727 times
Take the 8 and 6 yr old to a soup kitchen for a few hours. Definitely rotate them around to different VBS as there are a TON here.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 AM

68 posts, read 118,593 times
There are a lot of activities for kids in that area. Keep in mind that you'll have less time to fill (3 weeks instead of 3 months) for the school aged kids in year-round school.
An easy way to find activities is to check the city websites. Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay are about the same distance as Cary from West Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary