Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM

131 posts, read 726,213 times

Advertisements

I can totally relate to everything on your list. From the "no kids" and "no crowds" to the "been there, done that," sometimes it can be hard to find new and exciting things to do in the area that don't cost a small fortune. I usually find myself in the same routine every weekend. It sounds like that is the norm for most people.

If you enjoy doing outdoor activities, I suggest contacting Frog Hollow Outdoors and taking a kayak excursion. I've done one of the star gazing night paddle trips and had a wonderful time. I've been wanting to sign up for a daytime trip, but just haven't found the time to do it yet. The down side is that it does require spending a little money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Some of the things that my wife and I used to do. . . . .

1. Hike. We'd find a different place to hike each weekend and make a day of it. Pack a lunch.
2. Look at model homes. Sounds stupid, but it was fun to walk though houses that we could never afford
3. Go out to eat 2x or 3x on the weekend. Never fancy. . . . just casual.
4. Plan vacations. We'd go on one BIG vacation each year (e.g., Peru for 2 weeks, or New Zealand for a month) and do all of the planning ourselves. . . where we would stay, what to see, etc and record it in a 1" binder that we'd take on the trip with us. Then when we got home, my wife would make a scrapbook with all the photos.
5. Movie club with friends. We'd go to artsy movies with a group of friends and then go to a casual dinner afterwards and talk about it.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
You don't like the beach?!?!?

I think you are more "normal" than you may think.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
I am definitely a person that loves being home, but I do like to get out and do stuff. The things we like to do include:

Drag Bingo at the Durham Armory on Saturday nights (tickets run $17 but it is for a good cause, the Aids Alliance of NC)

Walking the trails around the area

Playing frisbee in the park

Going to auctions ( either storage or to an actual auction house. We never actually buy anything just love to go and watch)

Geocaching or letterboxing

Going to roller derby games at Dorton Arena (Tickets are cheaper if you by online $8-10)

Helping out at the community garden (just joined one)

Visiting with friends and doing dinner or board game night

Going to plays or show choir performances at local high schools. (Costs $5 tops and your supporting the arts at the schools)

I could spend all day at the bookstore!

Taking a Zumba class at Clubworx or pole dancing at Aradia Fitness

Volunteering my time at local charities or organizations

Driving around and taking pictures of old buildings and farmhouses

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM

226 posts, read 507,046 times
Thanks everyone. There are a few suggestions here that I hadn't thought of.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Let's see......

You can.....
.....count the dots on your ceiling
.....cut the grass with a pair of scissors
.....scrub the carpet with a toothbrush
.....peel the bark off a pine tree to see how big of a pile you can make
.....paint the house with a q-tip
.....count the blackberries on a blackberry bush
.....see how long you can hold your finger in an electrical outlet
.....drop a hairdryer into the tub while taking a bath
.....play Russian roulette

On a serious note, have you looked into volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity? Doesn't cost a thing and valuable trade skills can be learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary