Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM

81 posts, read 137,936 times

Advertisements

We keep telling ourselves that the money spent on private school is an investment.The public schools are wonderful.The large class size(32) and the many students who are there to pass time,rather than get an education is a negative.I sympathise with the teachers who have to go over and over and over class material as homework is not done,students are not paying attention or simply don't care.At private schools there are fewer disinterested students and parents want value for their money in terms of returns on money spent.
We narrowed down our choices to Cary Academy and Durham Academy and chose DA.It is pricey but worth every penny.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:33 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
My child's public school class currently only has 19 kids, all great,bright kids getting a great education!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,225 times
Instead of turning this into another public vs. private debate, let's focus on the OPs question:

Quote:
Does anyone have any information about this school? Or another reasonably affordable private school with small classes and a strong math program...

Old 03-25-2011, 03:56 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,432 times
we recently toured Chesterbrook Academy off of Six Forks. Their class sizes are 8-10 kids.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM

242 posts, read 593,913 times
Do you know what grade Chesterbrook Academy goes to & what their tuition is? I had difficulties getting any info from their website.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,432 times
yeah, I think the tuition was $820 or $880/mo, somewhere around there. They currently go to 5th grade. They would like to expand to higher grades if they get the enrollments. It was a small school but they are on several acres of land which was nice, they had nature trails and a playground that was all fenced in. The curriculum looks tough but the books for the 2nd graders were all too easy for my son, who is an advanced reader. They have a dress code but still seemed pretty casual. I called and was able to have a tour pretty much whenever I wanted during the school day which gave me a pretty decent feel for the school. I probably would have gone there if I didn't get into a free magnet and charter.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 29,376 times
My child attends Thales and I could not be happier. As a former educator (with a Master's as well) I completely agree that every child is different and therefore will respond differently to various instruction methods. I was never introduced to Direct Instruction in graduate school but I have found it is a perfect match for my child (although not for every child.) Direct instruction is a method of teaching used at Thales that teaches children to build on what they are learning. Thales makes sure every child learns to mastery before moving on.

Behavior and character is extremely important at Thales as well. I am very impressed with the classroom management skills the teachers have shown and believe that is why they are so successful in my opinion.

My child is two grades ahead in reading and a solid grade ahead in math. Thales allows for flexibility for students who are either ahead academically or need some additional help. They literally make sure "no child is left behind.:)"

I can understand parents concern over the lack of accreditation. But I personally would not use that as the only reason not to look at or attend the school.

Thales provides just as many opportunities for your child to be creative as any other school. My child is a well rounded kid who comes home with all kinds of artwork and singing songs

Hope this helps...although totally biased because I am a huge fan of Thales

Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times
i have 2 children that attend Thales and could not be happier. its our first year there and kids are in 3rd/4th grades. Both are placed in higher grades for reading and math so they have friends/interaction with children in several grades , which i like a lot.

the one poster couldnt be more wrong about Direct Instruction. I was apprehensive at first but its not much different than public school except the expectations to learn it and master each topic are VERY HIGH. The teachers use a variety of tools including props and smartboards and LOTS of critical thinking on the part of the kids. I esp love class discussion on current events!

Lots of extracurricular stuff available too: chess club, chorus, Lego club and Oddessy of the Mind teams.

Its reasonably priced too. I also could care less about accredidation. Not relevanant for elementary schools IMO.

Good luck with your decision

Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default accredidation

While accredidation offers some sense of security I dont think that it is a deal breaker if you are happy with everything else.

Think about this,
Think of the worst public school in the area in this county or any county, you know, the ones that many people agree is a poor choice.

Now remember that all public schools are have accredidation including that one, I dont think I then keep that warm fuzzy feeling about accredidation. They give accredidation to all the county public schools not each one based on assesment.

Last edited by ducter; 03-30-2011 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: add text

Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,483 times
Default Thales Academy

We are looking at Thales Academy in Raleigh for the 2012-2013 year. Any thoughts on the school in Raleigh/Wake Forest/Apex would be great - both positive and negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary