Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:16 AM

547 posts, read 774,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
As someone that lived and worked in CT and is now a resident of the Tar Heel state, I am going to have to say that I don't think Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill are close to any of the cities in Connecticut. If anything, Durham is similar to New Haven. Both, are home to top universities, have a great food scene (New Haven tops Durham in food in my humble opinion), have some stereotype of being dangerous (I find there to be a lot more "safer communities" in Durham than in New Haven) and have a great cultural scene.
That's what I figured about Durham getting a bad rep...New Haven is the same way but there are alot to like about NH...Can't wait to explore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 PM

54 posts, read 86,296 times
We moved from Middletown, CT a year ago. I would agree that Raleigh is definitely nothing like Hartford. I think of it more like a larger Norwalk. It has a nice lively but small downtown (though it has several tall buildings, unlike Norwalk). It's definitely not like Hartford or New Haven.

I also would not equate Cary to Milford. It is definitely more upscale than Milford. I think of it more like Farmington. Some very nice, high end neighborhoods mixed with an older "downtown" area that is being re-developed.

I've only been to CH once. I can see the association with Middletown but I think the area just around downtown Middletown is pretty unpleasant and you don't have that in CH.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 AM

547 posts, read 774,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledname View Post
We moved from Middletown, CT a year ago. I would agree that Raleigh is definitely nothing like Hartford. I think of it more like a larger Norwalk. It has a nice lively but small downtown (though it has several tall buildings, unlike Norwalk). It's definitely not like Hartford or New Haven.

I also would not equate Cary to Milford. It is definitely more upscale than Milford. I think of it more like Farmington. Some very nice, high end neighborhoods mixed with an older "downtown" area that is being re-developed.

I've only been to CH once. I can see the association with Middletown but I think the area just around downtown Middletown is pretty unpleasant and you don't have that in CH.
Thanks for the comparisons! My disclaimer was I didn't spend too much time in these places so the quick comparisons were based on the limited time i had

Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledname View Post

How is CH anything like Middletown??? CH is a college town albeit with a very vibrant downtown and other happenings. Maybe, Princeton in NJ is like CH.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:56 PM

54 posts, read 86,296 times
It was the best comparison I could come up with as they do have similar downtowns and colleges in town as Middletown has Wesleyan. I agree it's not great but there isn't another town in CT that I could think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary