Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in jersey View Post
So just because you pay taxes you own the street? I live in Durham and pay Durham taxes, and I work at Duke. Does that mean I can't park in front of your house?
Of course it means you "can" park in front of my house, legally.

That said, as PR points out, just because you can do something or choose to do something occasionally doesn't make it kinda dickish to do all the time. If someone working in or near downtown decided to park on nearby neighborhood streets every day to save a few dozen bucks a month, then they'd be seriously screwing over those who live on the streets.

Yes, I think there is a reasonable expectation that generally, on-street parking ought to be used primarily by those who live somewhere or are visiting them. Does that mean it's a big deal if some lost parent parks off East Campus trying to find their way into a dorm? No.

But the idea of someone deciding to, day in and day out, use a neighborhood street instead instead of paying for parking?

Legal, yes. Also kinda lousy behavior, too.

[speaking for myself, not any large Durham institutions]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I think it is more so the idea of parking in a neighborhood when you don't live there. The original poster doesn't have any business in Trinity Park, so why should they park there? Can I park in front of your house nine hours every week day? How about each night or on weekends?

I have no problem with on-street parking. I park on street at my house, and most of my neighbors do as well. It is a real problem when I can't find a space, especially when I have to end up walking two blocks with a trunk full of groceries.

Please leave on-street spaces in residential neighborhoods for the folks who need them!
Did you not know about the parking when you bought the house?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Of course it means you "can" park in front of my house, legally.

That said, as PR points out, just because you can do something or choose to do something occasionally doesn't make it kinda dickish to do all the time. If someone working in or near downtown decided to park on nearby neighborhood streets every day to save a few dozen bucks a month, then they'd be seriously screwing over those who live on the streets.

Yes, I think there is a reasonable expectation that generally, on-street parking ought to be used primarily by those who live somewhere or are visiting them. Does that mean it's a big deal if some lost parent parks off East Campus trying to find their way into a dorm? No.

But the idea of someone deciding to, day in and day out, use a neighborhood street instead instead of paying for parking?

Legal, yes. Also kinda lousy behavior, too.

[speaking for myself, not any large Durham institutions]

You sound like one of the people who buys a house next to an airport, and then complains about all the noise and traffic. Duke has been around far longer than the residents living in those houses have. They had to know about the traffic, noise and parking before they moved in. It's a city street and anybody can park there. If you don't like it, move. And by the way, I work one block from east campus, but I do pay for parking and it's $30 a month for the lot I'm in. A lot of employees may not be able to afford that, so they park on the street where it's free.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Quote:
You sound like one of the people who buys a house next to an airport, and then complains about all the noise and traffic. Duke has been around far longer than the residents living in those houses have. They had to know about the traffic, noise and parking before they moved in. It's a city street and anybody can park there. If you don't like it, move. And by the way, I work one block from east campus, but I do pay for parking and it's $30 a month for the lot I'm in. A lot of employees may not be able to afford that, so they park on the street where it's free.

Not actually true. While many people have lived here a short time, there are houses that have 'been in the family' for generations. But that is beside the point. Yes, residents of this area know about the traffic, noise and parking.

I have seen the streets here get widened, thus removing street parking. We have had parking issues with people feeling free to park in spaces in front of homes and businesses then walk to a bus stop only to leave their vehicle there for 8+hours.

Duke does what it can to provide park and ride lots, but since Duke owns just about everything in this part of Durham, they can charge whatever they want for their employees/visitors/students to be able to park.

This area needs some kind of commuter system to bring in people from areas in Orange and Wake counties. A system where they can park near their home and take something like the Metro in to town.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Sorry, big difference from an airport scenario. The airport's presence means more noise overhead, sure. It doesn't mean that planes directly impact your ability to use a property, vis a vis parking in front of it. Indirect impact is a different thing from direct impact.

First, I'm not complaining about noise and traffic. Yes, those go with being in an urban setting. And I'm not complaining about occasional parkers ending up on my street. Last weekend, I helped a nice, college age-looking young woman learn how to parallel park by directing her into the space in front of my house. She appreciated learning how to parallel park, and promptly headed to East Campus. And next time around the block, I had to park a few spaces away. Not a big deal.

My gripe is with the idea that someone would make a *daily habit* of using on-street parking because they're too cheap to pay for parking or don't want to ride a bus. And my point is while it may be illegal, someone who does it is being a jerk.

Not just to neighbors like me, but to other temporary parkers -- because as soon as on-street parking gets abused, you bet that neighbors are going to start petitioning the city for permit parking only. Then the on-street parking is gone for many.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
If you decide to park on one of the streets adjacent to Duke's East Campus for free, please be sure to send me an email letting me know what your car looks like. That way I'll know whom to gripe at for taking up spaces in front of my house.

Seriously, if you decide to travel to Duke, it's your responsibility to find transit or parking options that work for you without free-riding on those taxpayers like me who own property and rely on on-street parking for ourselves and visitors. Taking up public street space because you don't want to pay for parking is irksome.

(I live one block off East Campus.)
This is great. Someone living downtown is complaining that someone else—who's complaining about the financial hardship that comes with having to try to park downtown—should be more considerate of the poor ol' downtown resident. Your life must be so hard, what with poor people oppressing you by making you walk a block or two every once in the while for the privilege of getting to live in a nice house in the middle of everything. Poor you.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunzo View Post
This is great. Someone living downtown is complaining that someone else—who's complaining about the financial hardship that comes with having to try to park downtown—should be more considerate of the poor ol' downtown resident. Your life must be so hard, what with poor people oppressing you by making you walk a block or two every once in the while for the privilege of getting to live in a nice house in the middle of everything. Poor you.
Welcome to the City-Data Forum! I am looking forward to your future posts. Maybe you can find some even older posts to dig up...the one you responded to is only 6 years old.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
where's the "follow" feature?

Old 05-16-2017, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Welcome to the City-Data Forum! I am looking forward to your future posts. Maybe you can find some even older posts to dig up...the one you responded to is only 6 years old.
Great response! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary