Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM

30 posts, read 177,741 times

Advertisements

Anybody out there working for SAS in a technical capacity? Curious what you like and dislike about working there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Some people love it so much they quit.

Like me.

Generally, it's a great place to work. Goodnight tried to create a workplace where employees are respected, and I believe he succeeded.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
I have many clients that work there and RAVE about the place. SAS is one of those companies that makes the list of the best places to work, over and over. They have an onsite childcare facility, cafeteria, hairdresser (I know because she used to be MINE) and other "perks" for their employees.

I hear it is rather difficult to get in but once there, I haven't heard of anyone looking to leave, which is why it is so hard to get in. I did hear from one of my clients that they are looking do some hiring this year.

Best of luck to you!

Vicki

Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
I've heard that there are exceptions to the "rule", but the "rule" is: 9 to 5 workday which INCLUDES an hour for lunch (i.e. 35-hour week). Gym and medical facilities onsite. Cafeteria (called the "cafe' " ) with really GOOD food for quite cheap (I've taken some classes out there and gotten to eat there). Benefits out the wazoo, including domestic partner benefits (unless the state passes the amendment that will jeopardize that). As said above, always ranks on the top of the "best places to work" lists, which means getting in the door is not easy.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 AM

33 posts, read 71,688 times
I'd not mind getting in there.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM

I remember the first day, at the employee orientation. It took quite some time for them to tell us about all the benefits and freebies and fun. It went on and on and on. We were all giddy. It seemed unreal. One person asked, "When will we have time to work?"

Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 PM

871 posts, read 3,019,229 times
My wife has been there going on 6 years. She was hired while we lived in Mass. We moved the whole household down here and she started working 2 weeks later.

The biggest benefit of all is the extreme flexibilty you have to still get real-life stuff done, ie doctor and dentist appointments for her and 2 kids, school conferences, and a further lengthy list. My job provides virtually no opportunity for me to get away to do any of that stuff so that while she can do it, and all of it, the onus may be on her but it doesn't affect the paycheck. She just makes up the time on the laptop at home.

Some people in her group severely abuse this freedom and really milk it. There is a culture of managerial dead wood, dinosaurs who have lingered for a quarter century and are not maximally engaged in an honest career, and that's a sorry blemish on the company. As others have mentioned, there are several dining facilities and they are magnificent. Drinks are free. My wife buys me a salad once or twice a week for me to take to my job and it's as good as you will find anywhere. Yep, we're thrilled with our good fortune.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
There is a culture of managerial dead wood, dinosaurs who have lingered for a quarter century and are not maximally engaged in an honest career, and that's a sorry blemish on the company.
Very true.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
I heard from a client of mine that it is RARE that someone is asked to leave but it happens. Perhaps those that don't realize how good they have it will wake up and begin to do their jobs!

Vicki

Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times
Default Resume time!

SAS just posted a job today in my specific field, which is light years away from their core business. The strange thing is the job was posted today (April 13th), and the posting will be automatically removed at the end of the second following day (11:59 pm on April 15th).

It appears that anyone desiring to work for SAS needs to check their job board daily. Maybe for months! It was only a fluke that I spotted this opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary