Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,074 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know who is clearing Schenck Forest and why ??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:10 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
It is owned by NC State as part of their Forestry and Environmental Resources Department, so I would think that they are the who. As to the why, are they clearing the whole thing? If only part I would suspect that it is part of a learning or demonstration program. You could always email them to get the straight dope.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
It's a working forestry lab and they do routinely cut things down and clear areas for new growth. It's a managed growth forest. I was out there about 2 months ago and every thing seemed the same back there. What part are they clearing?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM

They've cleared two areas - 1 is along Reedy Creek - I'd say they've cleared a section that's about 1/2 of the road stretch between the forest start and the new development houses - the back 1/2 of the forest. But they haven't cleared the entire depth of the forest. They have also cleared a section around the corner just past the older homes but before I-40. I know there's still a sign there that says 'Welcome to Schenck Forest'.

I was hoping it was being done by the University for positive reasons but I wasn't sure.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Is it possible that that part of it is not actually part of Schenk Forest?
Just wondering since I know some of it backs up to housing.
Here is a link with some contact information if you're interested in emailing someone to ask! I LOVE it back there! http://cnr.ncsu.edu/fer/index.html

Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM

My husband and I looked online to see if we could tell who owns the property. It looks like the Reedy Creek section being cleared is part of the entire Schenck forest section and it says it's owned by NC State - same people who own the horse farm etc. The parcel around the corner next to I-40 says it's owned by the NC Prison System but I'm not sure I have the right parcel.

I will email the school and see if I can find out anything. I'm just curious since I love that area as well and my young neighbor Eddie Croom was one of the people who fought to have it protected years ago

Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Give us an update if you hear anything. It's one of my favorite "secret spots" to head to and walk in the woods right in the middle of Raleigh!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
could they be clearing a fire line? To prevent a fire from spreading easily? I know they routinely do this at the Croatan Forest along 58.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Default Reason for Clearing the Forest - from NCSU

I sent an email to Joe Cox at NCSU and received a wonderful, detailed response - with his permission I'm including it here:
--------------------

I hope this finds you well.

Thank you for your questions regarding the harvest activities on the Schenck Forest. The Schenck Forest is a working forest and outdoor classroom for North Carolina State University. The Forest is used on a daily basis for class activities and for demonstration purposes. The Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources and its predecessors have managed this Forest since 1936. We started that management with planting trees on old fields that were used by the Department of Corrections to grow foodstuffs for the prison system.

Since the beginning, the Schenck Forest served as a working forest where students learn about forest management and the associated benefits, such as wildlife habitat, quality water, forest certification, carbon sequestration, and others. Delivering that education effectively to our students requires the Forest to be a diverse, versatile and changing forest classroom.

A critical part of the habitat found in other parts of North Carolina is currently missing from the Schenck Forest, namely young forest. Following the ice storm of December 2002, we salvaged damaged timber from the original 1936 plantation from the area behind the picnic shelter on the south side of the Schenck Forest. We left seed trees in place to provide seed to regenerate the next stand. The new seedlings now average 15 to 20 feet tall and wildlife that uses young forest are starting to seek other areas and we are losing the ability to teach about the dynamics of this habitat type.

We are currently in the process of harvesting three sections of the Schenck Forest to create the young forest habitat. These areas will not be converted from forest to another use. They will be regenerated using three different treatments. We will plant the area along Trenton Road to loblolly pine seedlings next planting season (between January and March of 2012). From Trenton Road, these trees will become visible in one to two years.

The other areas will regenerate naturally from seed trees that we marked for the logger to leave. In one area, we marked seed trees that will not be harvested to provide seed for the next stand of trees. In the next area we marked additional seed trees to provide seed and shelter for the next stand of trees. This natural regeneration will take several years and will gradually appear below the standing trees in these areas.

These areas will continue as a quality outdoor classroom, a healthy and thriving habitat for wildlife, and a beautiful place to walk in the woods. We are excited about the many ways this special forest benefits the community and contributes to the quality education of the next generation of responsible and skilled foresters.

You may be interested to know that one species of note found in the area behind the picnic shelter is the woodcock. In the early Spring, John Conners from the NC Museum of Natural Sciences coordinates evening walks to observe the mating ritual of the woodcock. I expect that the next spring following the harvest operation, the woodcock will move into the harvest area and Mister Conners will move his walks as well.

Thank you for your interest in the Schenck Forest. I welcome any questions you may have.

Please let me know your thoughts and questions.

Best regards,

Joe Cox
College Forest Manager
NCSU Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources
5219 Jordan Hall
Box 8008
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695
(919)515-7576

Notice: It's OK to print this e-mail. Paper is a plentiful, biodegradable, renewable, recyclable, sustainable product made from trees. Producing paper and other forest products utilizes a renewable natural resource and provides jobs and income for millions of Americans. Thanks to improved forest management, we have more trees today than we had 100 years ago.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Wow, what a detailed response! Thanks for posting!
And interesting to note that they actually used to GROW FOOD for the prison system!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary