Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Try getting a credit card online with Capital One.
this is the best route. ANYONE can get a capital one card!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM

278 posts, read 467,720 times
Find someone who doesn't check credit, like an individual landlord.

I agree that no score (never used) credit is much better than bad credit.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
this is the best route. ANYONE can get a capital one card!!!
Yup. They can. I had my son get one there when he turned 18, just to build a credit history. He tries to leave a small balance on it. Doesn't use it much, though.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM

16 posts, read 73,390 times
Walnut Creek Apartments near NC state. I moved there with a friend when I first came to Raleigh. Neither of us had jobs and she had no credit (I did) and we were able to get an apartment with no problems.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
My problem is most banks want a $300 security deposit on the CC!!
It's very likely that, with no credit history, you'll have to pay a bigger security deposit on an apartment. Either way, you're out $$.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Having no credit is better than bad credit.

If your credit check will show no credit history, than just be up-front with the leasing office. Many times, the office can tell you before you apply if it will be a problem. Do you have a credit card? Now may be a good time to get one, just so that starts to build your credit some.

For me, I'm more concerned about a history of late payments or outstanding debt than having a short credit history.
I have found this to be the case.

OP, have you had doors slammed in your face?

As I mentioned in another post. Neither me nor my husband have any credit history and we've been renting multiple apartments and houses in two states together since 1996. (We were in our late teens and early twenties with good rental history and stable employment.) The ONLY issue that came up (and I didn't really think it was an issue) was at ONE particular complex. We weren't able to get the $99 deposit deal. We had to pay a whole whopping $300 or something like that. I just rolled my eyes at that because in NJ, a security deposit would easily put us back a full month or month and a half deposit price in addition to first month's rent. (We're talking $1000 plus rent in comparison to about $580.)

BTW, the complex down the street from the first one allowed us to move in for exactly $0, no credit and all. First month's rent was free too. Their sign said plain as day '$0 moves you in'. I was pleased that it wasn't just a gimmick to get you in the office door.

Jee whiz, so many people make it like you HAVE to have credit to function in America. It is just NOT true. There are other options. I like living without a leash tied to my neck.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Find a credit union you can join (its MUCH easier than it use to be), and then get a credit card from them. Also take out a signature loan from them (maybe $500 or $1,000), both to help you pay for all the utility deposits and to get your credit history started.
Than make sure you pay on time! Credit isn't based on how much you owe, but way more on how regularly you pay it off (or not).

Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 AM

146 posts, read 332,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Try getting a credit card online with Capital One.
They're literally spawns of Satan. Trust me, it took me 3 years of fighting just to close an account that was paid off. They kept charging me fee and such. This was from 2003-2006 (before the bailout).

Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takealready View Post
They're literally spawns of Satan. Trust me, it took me 3 years of fighting just to close an account that was paid off. They kept charging me fee and such. This was from 2003-2006 (before the bailout).
I always wanted to try the retaliate-against-the-machine gimmick of paying off the bill, plus a penny and the next month pay the balance less 2 cents, on and on, so that their computers spend all that money and postage alerting you that you owe them a penny, or you have a penny credit.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Check craigslist for rentals because you'll probably have more luck with landlord than an apt complex. I think they usually want more up front though, like bigger deposit or something.

Landlords have to be careful. I believe (not positive about NC laws) most states only allow a landlord to collect 1 month rent + a reasonable/customary security deposit but no more. Collecting more in many states is a violation of the law. Of course making the offer of a larger deposit is always helpful by letting the property owner know your intent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary