Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,095,011 times

Advertisements

Our Garmin sucks here. It can take up to 10 minutes to acquire satellites if we don't leave it on all the time. When we were in NJ it would load up in less than 30 seconds. Is this a common issue in the Triangle for GPS satellites? Are other brands better in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:56 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
I have a Garmin 1490T . Boots quickly ... my old eTrex Legend does take longer. What sort of sky view do you have? Multiple sats?

Frank

Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
My TomTom has a weekly update that can be applied to speed up the ability to lock in on GPS satellite signals. Something to do with knowing where the satellites are that week.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:04 PM

310 posts, read 575,759 times
I've noticed mine will take a minute or 2 to acquire satellites if I turn it on at a place not near where I turned it off. For instance if I use it to get from home to somewhere several miles away and turn it off, then the next time I start it is back at home it will take a couple minutes to acquire sats. If I turn it off at home and then start it at home I've never noticed anytime to acquire satellites.

I've noticed this in other areas of the country as well, not just the triangle. I've never researched it but it seems like when it starts up if it can sync to the same satellites it was synced to when it was shut off it does so quickly, but if it has to resync to other satellites it takes a couple minutes. I've never noticed it taking anywhere near 10 minutes.

I don't know about other brands.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
Same as slim2none. I just leave it on all the time plugged in now and hide it under the seat when I'm not using it.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
My Garmin nuvi 1450 powers up with my car, (along with the GPS in my radar detector), and they both get a lock-on in less than a minute. Well before I make it to the main street.

Also, my smartphone has GPS built in, and when I fire up Google Navigator, it automatically powers up the GPS function which usually gets a lock in 10-30 seconds, (I believe smart phone GPS's lock on quicker as they also have a 1000 meter location fix from cell tower triangulation that makes the GPS way faster to lock on to its 10 meter fix).

So it's not the local region.

You should check to see if your unit is placed where it's clear line-of-sight up is restricted. If you put it right up at the top of your windshield, check to see if there is a band of sunshade there. Some car manufacturers put a stripe at the top that is a metallic film, that will reduce radio reception.

Try dis-mounting it, and plugging it in while holding it in your hands off to the side of the car, while out in the open. See what the lock time is then.

Also, it might help if we knew the age and model number. I know about 2005 a new chip was developed that greatly reduced the lock time. (I think it was called the SiRF Star III). If your GPS is earlier, you probably should think on replacing it.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
My Garmin comes on when I start up the car.

I don't even get out of the driveway before it has found the satelite.

I'd be lost without it. Sometimes I get lost with it! And that is after living here for almost 40 years!

Vicki

Old 05-09-2011, 04:42 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Mine starts within a couple of minutes but longer at some times.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:53 PM

23 posts, read 77,145 times
My nuvi starts up quickly too, most of the time. Every now and then (maybe once a month) it can take a few minutes. I have noticed that the posted speed limits do not always jive with the speed limit on the Garmin screen (Sunset Lake in Holly Springs is off by 10 mph). We're fairly new here, so I don't know if some speed limits were recently changed or if the Garmin is just wrong.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,312 times
My Garmin has the same issues! I dont know why but Im gonna check out their website to see if there is an answer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary