Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why traffic was so backed up this evening on 70? It took me 38 min to go from 70/40 to guy rd ( 2 miles)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Does anyone know why traffic was so backed up this evening on 70? It took me 38 min to go from 70/40 to guy rd ( 2 miles)
Um, hm.....that's odd. I've never heard of such a thing happening in that vicinity before. Next thing you're going to tell me is it takes you 30 minutes to get off Cornwallis road onto 42 highway (to say it the local way)? Seriously, please tell me you just moved there.

Most feasible solution: Make sure your car's fluids are at the proper levels because overheating in traffic blows. It's better as well that your AC works and is charged up, and your car's soundsystem doesn't sound like tin cans being pelted by hailstones when you turn it up. If it does, get some new speakers and a subwoofer. Be warned that you must declare these upgrades on your property taxes which will increase for ditching the factory system out of your Corolla.

Most fun solution: Buy a monster truck and hit the other pedal than the one you normally would when you see red taillights. You'll make it to Guy Road in no time, but it might be a little bumpy and you might even get a visit from the Johnston County fuzz when you get home. And it won't be because you've got doughnuts.

The latter is only advisable if you can afford the insurance and fines...

Old 08-02-2007, 05:57 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Um, hm.....that's odd. I've never heard of such a thing happening in that vicinity before. Next thing you're going to tell me is it takes you 30 minutes to get off Cornwallis road onto 42 highway (to say it the local way)? Seriously, please tell me you just moved there.

Most feasible solution: Make sure your car's fluids are at the proper levels because overheating in traffic blows. It's better as well that your AC works and is charged up, and your car's soundsystem doesn't sound like tin cans being pelted by hailstones when you turn it up. If it does, get some new speakers and a subwoofer. Be warned that you must declare these upgrades on your property taxes which will increase for ditching the factory system out of your Corolla.

Most fun solution: Buy a monster truck and hit the other pedal than the one you normally would when you see red taillights. You'll make it to Guy Road in no time, but it might be a little bumpy and you might even get a visit from the Johnston County fuzz when you get home. And it won't be because you've got doughnuts.

The latter is only advisable if you can afford the insurance and fines...
I have been here for almost two years and it has never taken me that long to get from Knightdale Auburn to Guy rd.....and I could see that the traffic was backed up way beyond that. It was not moving even on green lights so if you are trying to convince me that it was a "normal day in Clayton" it will take a lot more than that.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
It's taken me that long before - anything minor can turn rush hour into pure hell in that part of the county...just stick around a little longer and you'll notice a trend of this happening more and more because the county never says no to new development. The people can even vote against it and it doesn't matter in the end. If you're in Clayton now you might as well be in Paterson, NJ in a couple more years. As long as NC's taxes haven't been raised to their level, people will still keep pouring in and putting their cars on the same highway, making you wish for 38 minutes to get to Guy Road.

It got progressively worse in the time I was there, and I drove into Clayton almost every day either via 70, a little shortcut using Raynor Road that gets you from Cornwallis around the mess at the White Oak big-box center and on the other side of 70, or 42. Which was sometimes backed up all the way to 40. It will get even worse before it gets better, if it gets better.

If they kill this commuter rail plan they're talking about - and listen carefully because you're gonna start hearing this phrase a lot more in the coming years: "fugheddaboudit!"

Old 08-03-2007, 05:39 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
I know!!!
I noticed the same thing! If you saw a 30-something in a tan minivan reading the final Harry Potter book and looking not so happy to be stuck in traffic, that was me.

What in the world was going on? I saw FOUR ambulances flying past in the opposite direction and three police cars (heading west toward Garner). I drove ALL THE WAY DOWN hwy 70 east toward Smithfield and it all cleared up at Walmart. I dont know what was going on. I didnt see a car accident or anything.

I was kind of wondering if there was a sale at Walmart or something...lol.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's taken me that long before - anything minor can turn rush hour into pure hell in that part of the county...just stick around a little longer and you'll notice a trend of this happening more and more because the county never says no to new development. The people can even vote against it and it doesn't matter in the end. If you're in Clayton now you might as well be in Paterson, NJ in a couple more years. As long as NC's taxes haven't been raised to their level, people will still keep pouring in and putting their cars on the same highway, making you wish for 38 minutes to get to Guy Road.

It got progressively worse in the time I was there, and I drove into Clayton almost every day either via 70, a little shortcut using Raynor Road that gets you from Cornwallis around the mess at the White Oak big-box center and on the other side of 70, or 42. Which was sometimes backed up all the way to 40. It will get even worse before it gets better, if it gets better.

If they kill this commuter rail plan they're talking about - and listen carefully because you're gonna start hearing this phrase a lot more in the coming years: "fugheddaboudit!"
Hi there!

Have you been in Paterson, NJ lately? I've worked there for 16 years, and I can't think of one connection between the two, even in a couple of years. Please enlighten me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary