Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: teacher degree, rental, looking for a job, buy a house, great schools.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,004 times

Advertisements

Just looking to see how many new teachers are moving down(or are already there) that will be teaching in Johnston County this coming school year. I've been a 2nd grade teacher in New Jersey for the past 2 years.

About me: I will be teaching 3rd grade at McGees Crossroads Elementary, which is south of Clayton near Willow Springs. Husband, 10-year old daughter, and myself are moving down next Thursday(9th) from NJ. House still for sale in New Jersey, so we are renting a newer 3 BR house South of Clayton(near my school). Husband is in construction so he will be looking for a job when we get there. Has owned his own business for 20 years and does not anticipate problems finding work(even just part-time). Packing up some boxes this week to move, but leaving a lot of stuff here in Jersey until the house sells(why pay for storage in NC?) We are about 6 1/2 hours away so we will visit here once every few months.(entire family is still here in NJ), and retrieve stuff as we need it/once the house sells. My parents plan to move to NC in 2 years when they retire.

VERY EXCITED(and a bit nervous too...but thats expected). We've been wanting to move out of Jersey for years and have been looking forward to this for a while now. We have friends in Knightdale who we visited often over the years and fell in love with NC/Raleigh area. So we set our sights on NC and waited for my husband's business to slow down here in NJ(Construction has been BOOMING here(jersey shore) over the past 5 years.... so it was hard just to up and leave the $$$$$. But it finally has slowed down this year..so now is the time) Just wish the house here would sell <sigh>. Once it does, we will buy a house when our lease expires in NC(next August). Will probably look for a house to purchase in the Willow Springs/Angier area(Johnston County side of Angier) so our daughter can attend McGees , where I work.

Anyway..any other new teachers coming in? I am a bit apprehensive teaching in an unknown school/area..not being familiar with textbooks/lesson plan procedures, state-testing etc. etc. But I've already been contacted by some of my co-workers at my grade level and they have assured me they would help in any way they can(That N.C. hospitality shining through ALREADY!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 PM

91 posts, read 455,582 times
I will be teaching Special Education at Selma Elementary and my son will be attending 2nd grade at East Clayton.

I am leaving Jersey too. My closing is scheduled for next Friday. I can not wait to get out of here. I am not as nervous as I thought mainly because everyone made me feel so comfortable.

My husband is in construction as well.

FYI: your daughter can attend the school where you work even if you do not live in the area.

Good luck to you and your family!!!! We will definitely have to compare notes!

Gia

Old 08-02-2007, 01:12 PM

hey gia--Good Luck with your closing! Is your family all still here in NJ? What kind of construction does your husband do? Doee he have a job there yet?

Yes, I found out that its no problem for our daugther to go to the school where I work...however she is special-needs and the particular special-ed program she may need may not be housed at McGees(maybe you'll get her..LOL). So I'm waiting to hear about that. She has had a one-on-one aide here in NJ since Grade 1(she's going into 5th) and has always been in a mainstream/regular classroom, so I am HOPING I get her a one-on-one in NC...but of course it won't be finalized until she is registered/her IEP established there.

So you are not going to send your son to Selma where you are working?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:07 PM

My husband is in roofing. He would like to get out of it but he may need to stick with it for a little while. We have been in contact w/ one co. who pretty much told him call, we'll take you out to dinner, and we can pretty much guarantee you employment.

As far as David going to school with me, I am not so sure it would be good for him. Plus he will be in school with many of the children from our development which would be nice.

Yes all of my family is in NJ. We all live within 3 miles of each other so this is going to be rough. I know I am ready though. I need to do what is best for myself and my family and that is DEFINITELY not staying in NJ. LOL.

Good luck with your daughter and her placement. I know that the school district really favors inclusion in the regular ed. classroom. I'll keep you posted if I hear of anything that I think would benefit you and your family.

Gia

Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 PM

gia--your family situation sounds just like mine. My entire family(including inlaws) all live within 3 miles of us right now too. But they all will visit for sure and vice versa....so I'm hopeful we'll stay as close as always. Also with your husband being in construction....I've told my husband that he will probably find work with no problems at all(he is a interior/trim carpenter)

I TOTALLY understand about not having your son at the school where you teach..I've been teaching at my daughter's present school here in NJ for the past 3 years and aside from it being VERY convenient, in other ways its a pain. Everybody knows your child's good and bad days etc. etc. Just a bit too close for confort.

Thanks for the offer of keeping me up to date as far as inclusion/special-needs classes for our daughter. I'm hoping that she gets the same benefits/services she got here in NJ (mainly a one-on-one parapro. in a mainstream classroom).

HOPEFULLY..one day you and I will meet in person.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 PM

That would be really nice. Once we are down and settled, we will have to set something up.

Gia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary