Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM

273 posts, read 562,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Coastal Federal, RTP Federal Credit Union and if you are willing to transact with an online entity, I highly recommend Pentagon Federal Credit Union who have great rates on auto loans (2.49%) and a great 5/5 ARM mortgage program (3.5%) with no closing costs.

I second PenFed. I just refi'd my used car loan with them at 2.49% and have a 5/5 arm with them. They have deposit from home now for accounts similiar to USAA. Just need to buy a scanner. Makes banking easy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 12:52 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times
I bank with RTP Federal Credit Union and have since they were just a tiny hole in the wall CU in a lower building off Page Rd/Slater Rd.

They were, by far, the best CU around. Times have changed and them making attempts to expand around the triangle has turned it into just "another" credit union.

I also worked off Slater Rd. and would walk there and loved the staff. They aren't really located where I can use them (Hwy 54, Creedmore Rd, and some other places).

Also, RTPFCU's only MM account is now paying out .30% vs SECU MM 1.25%

So, I plan on trying to hunt down a loophole for State Employees CU so I can get in and use the branch right down the road.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 PM

226 posts, read 507,046 times
There look to be some good suggestions here. Thanks to everyone for replying.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
I am also looking to join a credit union. I currently belong to one in Texas which I love, particularly because of an online billing feature which i have never seen anywhere else. It allows you to create a budget and then has a graph that shows as you are using your banking (you can hide it if it bothers you) that allows you to follow your budget very closely to see if you are over on any line item. It's awesome! I had gotten Quickbooks but it wasn't user friendly enough for me and this ended up being so much better. Does anyone know if any of the suggested credit unions have this feature?

Also, it's important to me that if I pay a bill using OLBP that they don't take the funds too far in advance if it is a paper check. For instance if my childs preschool is due and they don't take electronic payments, I don't want the bank "holding" the money a week before the bill is due while the paper check is in the mail. The money should stay in my account until that check is cashed by the payee.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times
You can join RTP FCU. It only requires a $5 fee to become a member of some Diamond Travel club and you can become a member last I checked. I'm terribly dissatisfied with them at the moment as I love my paper statements and they are now telling me that I'm evil since I refuse e-statements. I am now going to be levied a fee.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM

358 posts, read 621,556 times
Another vote for RTP Federal Credit Union.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Penfed, Navy Federal and USAA are the best. I highly recommend all 3!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
I love RTPFCU as well.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I also recommend Navy Federal, if you can get in.

100% mortgage financing up to 650k.
Just bought my new house using Navy Federal. 100% financing (and no PMI) on a jumbo loan at competitive interest rates. I did have to provide dozens of financial documents and more explanations than typical, but in the end they closed in 33 days (loan was ready about 5 days sooner than that, but I had to wait for my old house to close first).

My only complaint is that they would not include any of my bonus income or incentive income in Debt to income calcuations even though there was a 10 yr history. That forced me to have to sell my old house first which has added stress to the moving process. Other than that I am very happy.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 AM

61 posts, read 240,372 times
+1 for Coastal Federal Credit Union !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary