Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM

187 posts, read 803,376 times

Advertisements

I have a U11 girl currently playing at the Challenge level for CASL... I need to register my U8 boy for recreation level soccer... I have been really frustrated with how unorganized CASL is as a league & frustrated with their administration - that is why I'm asking for opinions on the other soccer leagues mentioned. My daughter has a comraderie w/her current team so i'm not going to move her out if CASL at this time but I would like to start my son off in something that won't be a logistical or organizational nightmare. If you have experience in the other soccer clubs let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM

242 posts, read 594,051 times
When we relocated here a few months ago, my daughters tried out for CASL and Triangle Futbol Club. Our perception of CASL was that it is a very large, business-like organization. The coaches seemed very intense and more focused on winning rather than development. We chose Triangle Futbol and have been extremely happy with our decision. We are impressed by their professionalism and how they focus on developing every single player...not just the "good ones" (and I am not biased as I have one very strong player and one weaker player). Perhaps you should contact the administrators of both recreation leagues, see the feedback you get, so you can make an informed decision. Best of luck!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM

297 posts, read 740,472 times
My sons have played FC Cary for three years and we have been very pleased. There is an advanced level, where there is more pressure and expectation, but we haven't bothered. In the U06 and U09 leagues so far, it's been fun and competitive, but in a relaxed way.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM

58 posts, read 130,255 times
We also really like FC Cary - this was our first season and it has been a positive experience. My kids are younger U04 and U06 but things seem pretty well organized. There's been good communication the days there have been weather cancellations.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:15 PM

5,880 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
If you have experience in the other soccer clubs let me know
I had three that went through Classic at TFC, FVAA, Triangle United, etc. One thing you will notice is that the "grass is always greener" and some parents move between organizations searching for the best. I will say CASL does a better job of marketing for those interested in college ball. They don't necessary have the best players, but they do tend to get the most attention from college coaches.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM

72 posts, read 288,031 times
Default Triangle United Soccer Assn

Beware! This is a topic that for some reason elicits very strong and often uninformed reactions. Having said that, I will comment on our very positive experience with Triangle United Soccer Assn (TUSA).

We have 2 children (boy and girl) that have played on TUSA teams at various levels (rec, youth devt, challenge, classic) over the years. In general, we've been very happy with TUSA. A few keys for us:
  • Emphasis on technical/skill development at the younger ages, with little focus on tactical/game strategy. The rationale is that technical skills must be developed young (pre-teen), and tactical training may help win some games in the short term, but game strategy changes constantly as kids get bigger, stronger, faster. At the younger ages we have sometimes felt 'out-coached' as the other runs dead ball sets. Having been through this for several years I have learned to appreciate this technical over tactical emphasis, as the TUSA teams tend to be very skilled as the kids get older and learn the tactical skills better at an older age.
  • We've been very happy with the coaches at every level. Of course, this is a small sampling, and that could change next fall, but in general I feel that TUSA has a strong roster of coaches and provides a good framework for them to be successful.
  • TUSA fields 'local' teams at the younger levels to allow for convenient training, carpooling, etc at local fields. It is not until the older ages with the top teams that regional teams are formed.
  • TUSA has formed (with FC Cary and a couple of other triangle area clubs) an 'in-house' youth league for younger ages. This allows for good competition without having to travel to High Point, Fayetteville, or Jacksonville for a 1 hour match.
  • One problem we have encountered in the past has to do with Mid-State Soccer League for challenge game. This league has floundered over the past several years with very low numbers of challenge teams (a phenomenon that is repeating across the country, largely due to clubs moving toward classic-only model for financial reasons, but that's another topic). Just this spring MSSL has finally been put to rest. TUSA will continue to form challenge-level teams, and starting in Fall 2011 will compete in the CASL challenge league, which I expect will be a very positive change for both clubs. TFC does not support challenge level soccer at this time. Not sure about FC Cary.
TUSA teams are primarily located in the western triangle - Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough, Cary, Apex, etc.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,088 times
don6170, since you've done both TU and TFC, can you comment on the differences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary