Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,279 times

Advertisements

For academically gifted ("AIG"), check out Camelot Academy in Durham: http://www.camelotacademy.org/ (for K-12)

Raleigh Charter is also recommended, but is for high school.
Raleigh Charter High School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
welovedurham,

Do you have any experience with Camelot Academy?

Thanks,
Alice

Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM

We toured, applied, etc. Hard decision not to enroll. The deciding factor was that the kindergarten teacher did not seem incredibly "warm" and I had an idea that kindy should be warm & fuzzy. She did not teach there after the year we toured.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:11 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
Thanks, weloveddurham. Did you find a school that you thinks does a good job with gifted ed?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,601 times
I wish I had some suggestions for you, but I don't live in Raleigh. I can empathize, as I understand how difficult it is to find the correct educational fit for your own child. Gifted education seems to be a lightning rod topic. However, as parents we have to do what is best for our children.

Some of you seem upset that a parent is looking for education options for their gifted children. Would you be as upset about someone searching for a school for their child with special needs? If you do the research, you will discover that special needs and highly gifted children have many of the same issues with education, they just test on different ends of the spectrum. Children who test extremely high on cognitive abilities process informaton in a very different way than most of us. Wouldn't it be a good thing if these children were challenged to meet their full potential, too? Just a thought...

Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,359 times
I'd also look at Chapel Hill. WCPSS is not as good as it looks from the "outside". If you want to try going the magnet route, I would suggest that you live closer to ITB Raleigh. Otherwise, your kids will be stuck on a bus for an hour each way OR you might be like me and not get any transportation at all and end up spending 2 hours a day driving them back and forth to school. If we could afford to live ITB we would do it because the schooling options are so much better. You're still not guaranteed a spot in the magnet 'lottery', but if you do get in, you're much closer to the schools. Don't move to any outlying areas--Wake Forest, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Zebulon, Knightdale, Wendell, etc. You'll be far from any magnets.

Also beware of what your base school is if you're applying for a magnet. If you are a middle income person who is assigned to a high poverty school, you will have a much much lower chance of getting into a magnet because they need you at the base to keep the F&R% down. Stay away from eastern Wake County for this very reason. The magnet 'lottery' is weighted and not everybody has an equal chance of getting in.

So far my experience with having a gifted child has not been wonderful. Our schools don't do enough to challenge students at the highest level. I pretty much count on every year having to supplement the school work, particularly in math. Wake County/NC's math curriculum is very lacking in the early grades.

Another thing--don't count on moving to an area to go to a particular school. You can easily be reassigned out of a school's attendance zone. It happens every year.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
Thanks, weloveddurham. Did you find a school that you thinks does a good job with gifted ed?
Yes! We found a great fit.

Note that the magnets in Durham are not like Wake... they are pure lottery. I was told at the main office here that it was illegal to weight the lotteries by race, and I am curious that Wake is doing it by income level.

What is F&R?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I'd also look at Chapel Hill. WCPSS is not as good as it looks from the "outside". If you want to try going the magnet route, I would suggest that you live closer to ITB Raleigh. Otherwise, your kids will be stuck on a bus for an hour each way OR you might be like me and not get any transportation at all and end up spending 2 hours a day driving them back and forth to school. If we could afford to live ITB we would do it because the schooling options are so much better. You're still not guaranteed a spot in the magnet 'lottery', but if you do get in, you're much closer to the schools. Don't move to any outlying areas--Wake Forest, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Zebulon, Knightdale, Wendell, etc. You'll be far from any magnets.

Also beware of what your base school is if you're applying for a magnet. If you are a middle income person who is assigned to a high poverty school, you will have a much much lower chance of getting into a magnet because they need you at the base to keep the F&R% down. Stay away from eastern Wake County for this very reason. The magnet 'lottery' is weighted and not everybody has an equal chance of getting in.

So far my experience with having a gifted child has not been wonderful. Our schools don't do enough to challenge students at the highest level. I pretty much count on every year having to supplement the school work, particularly in math. Wake County/NC's math curriculum is very lacking in the early grades.

Another thing--don't count on moving to an area to go to a particular school. You can easily be reassigned out of a school's attendance zone. It happens every year.
In the spirit of full disclosure...Wake County magnet students can have, legally, a bus ride of up to an hour and a half.....it's an hour for everyone else.

My daughter is on the bus for the full 1 1/2 hours each way.....it's not great...but you know what? It's not that bad either. You just have to have a kid that can handle it...they certainly won't be the only ones at their school with the ride. My daughter gets most of her homework done on the bus....in her case she was basically tutored by a brilliant high school student from Enloe all year long when she had questions in math. I hardly view that as a bad thing.

Sure...it was a concern....when it came down to sending her second year letter of intent to return I made sure she was okay with it....but for many kids...it's just a non-issue...or even a positive thing.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:11 AM

21 posts, read 57,393 times
Smile Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
I wish I had some suggestions for you, but I don't live in Raleigh. I can empathize, as I understand how difficult it is to find the correct educational fit for your own child. Gifted education seems to be a lightning rod topic. However, as parents we have to do what is best for our children.

Some of you seem upset that a parent is looking for education options for their gifted children. Would you be as upset about someone searching for a school for their child with special needs? If you do the research, you will discover that special needs and highly gifted children have many of the same issues with education, they just test on different ends of the spectrum. Children who test extremely high on cognitive abilities process informaton in a very different way than most of us. Wouldn't it be a good thing if these children were challenged to meet their full potential, too? Just a thought...

Thanks JAC for this thought...just what I"ve been thinking ever since our son began public school two years ago. Our biggest problem, as you can guess, is the lack of support from both the administration and the other parents at our school. Resource dollars are literally thrown at the bottom 5% of the students - those with special needs - and the top 5%, those who test very highly on cognitive tests - are basically ignored. The state of CA spent 1 billion dollars last year on special education and only a paltry $400,000 on gifted education!!

It's amazing how hostile so many people are towards bright kids - we've been told so many times how our problems with our son's education are "good problems to have." Give me a break. It's not a good problem to have when he comes home from school feeling so frustrated with the work, the boredom, the feeling that he's powerless, and unmotivated to go back. The pressure he puts on himself, at 7 years of age is tremendous and far outweighs any pressure we've ever put on him! (mostly to use manners, be a good friend, etc.) This is typical of bright kids too....(perfectionistic tendencies..)

Trust me, if I were trying to help my son get into a good gifted school purely for bragging rights, I wouldn't be considering leaving my home of 20 years to find the right education for him....I'd do something simpler here, like leave him where he is and let him simply be a part of the GATE program next year.

Yes, all kids have special gifts, but can we all agree that there are some kids who are gifted in academic ways that necessitate special accomodations just like learning disabled kids? Seven hours a day in the chair without any special program for my son is just as difficult for him as it would be for a kid who is dyslexic, with no one helping him out either.

Everyone has been extremely helpful with the recommendations for schools, links, etc....so for that, THANK YOU!

Any other parents of gifted kids out there? Nice to know we're not alone in this....

Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tndshaver View Post
Thanks JAC for this thought...just what I"ve been thinking ever since our son began public school two years ago. Our biggest problem, as you can guess, is the lack of support from both the administration and the other parents at our school. Resource dollars are literally thrown at the bottom 5% of the students - those with special needs - and the top 5%, those who test very highly on cognitive tests - are basically ignored. The state of CA spent 1 billion dollars last year on special education and only a paltry $400,000 on gifted education!!

It's amazing how hostile so many people are towards bright kids - we've been told so many times how our problems with our son's education are "good problems to have." Give me a break. It's not a good problem to have when he comes home from school feeling so frustrated with the work, the boredom, the feeling that he's powerless, and unmotivated to go back. The pressure he puts on himself, at 7 years of age is tremendous and far outweighs any pressure we've ever put on him! (mostly to use manners, be a good friend, etc.) This is typical of bright kids too....(perfectionistic tendencies..)

Trust me, if I were trying to help my son get into a good gifted school purely for bragging rights, I wouldn't be considering leaving my home of 20 years to find the right education for him....I'd do something simpler here, like leave him where he is and let him simply be a part of the GATE program next year.

Yes, all kids have special gifts, but can we all agree that there are some kids who are gifted in academic ways that necessitate special accomodations just like learning disabled kids? Seven hours a day in the chair without any special program for my son is just as difficult for him as it would be for a kid who is dyslexic, with no one helping him out either.

Everyone has been extremely helpful with the recommendations for schools, links, etc....so for that, THANK YOU!

Any other parents of gifted kids out there? Nice to know we're not alone in this....
Hi there,

I'm sure this must be extremely frustrating for you...and for most parents, as myself, not in your shoes, it is probably just innocent ignorance, so to speak. I really don't know what your options are, although you might just have to handle it "out of the classroom" maybe someone to work with them at home? I'm sure that would be very expensive though. Maybe if I can give you another parent's perspective, you might be more compassionate to those that are in different situations, not necessarily your's in particular, but again want the best for their child. How about the child that doesn't quite rate "gifted" but with that extra special touch, very well could? How about the boy that tests far above his grade level in Math, but is only slightly above in other subjects so he only mainstreams with the rest of the class? How about the kid who is so gifted athletically, but isn't going to get that extra treatment because it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the kids? The 1st grade girl reading at a 5th grade level, but isn't tested "gifted", only extremely advanced? I think all of us as parents can become frustrated with the school system, feeling that our child is not getting the reinforcement that he or she needs and with the proper attention, could be rated gifted or highly academically. Not to forget the "average" kid that with just a little reinforcement, could test advanced? The child that is slightly behind but with that special touch, could mainstream with the rest? Every situation, as yours is unique, I believe, and that is when I think as parents, instead of sitting back and complaining that the school system is not doing what they are suppose to do, have to come in and do it themselves. My son was in the gifted and talented 2 years ago, then, for whatever reason, it was only the advanced L.E.A.P program. I really don't have the answers, just some personal thoughts. Sincere wishes to you and your family, and best of luck to you. Jeannie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary