Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,757 times

Advertisements

My Mom and I are looking for a church in Cary or within 20 minutes of Cary that sings the old hymns--How Great Thou Art, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms, Blessed Assurance, Rock of Ages, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Amazing Grace, In the Garden...

Ride On Jesus, Ride On just doesn't do it for us.

Pastor doesn't need to be Robert Fulgham, just someone that makes sense.

Sunday's coming around again and I just cannot bear another session of humming hymns I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
I am not a churchgoer but I know so many "older" folks, especially musicians, who feel your pain! An organist friend of ours finally left his church of many years, in large part because they were moving towards "rock and roll" sorts of music and away from the hymnal he came along with.

He now takes substitute jobs in various churches, and one that he really liked specifically because of their "old style" music was a "black" church--indeed he says those are more traditional in many ways. I don't know what of that sort is in Cary, but this one he had worked at was the First Baptist in downtown Raleigh--the red brick one (note that there are TWO "First Baptist" churches right on Capitol square, the "traditionally white" one and the "traditionally black" one. This is the red brick one across from the Southeast corner of the Capitol).

Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
My Mom and I are looking for a church in Cary or within 20 minutes of Cary that sings the old hymns--How Great Thou Art, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms, Blessed Assurance, Rock of Ages, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Amazing Grace, In the Garden...
and Battle Hymn of the Republic, Bringing in the Sheaves, Onward Christian Soldiers and my favorite Church in the Wildwood I haven't been to church in years, but if I could find a church like the Longview Methodist Church that I grew up in many years ago I would interested in going again.... one that played the good old stuff.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,903 times
This kinda funny - my wife and I moved here a year ago from Richmond, VA, but just moved to Rich 2 years ago, and when we moved there, it took us many visits to find a So. Baptist church that DID NOT sing all the old time songs with the choir and organ - we like the more modern praise songs. I would suggest making a few calls to some of the So. Baptist Churches in the Cary/Raleigh area - I guarantee you, you will find a few that have the "old time' services. Some churches have both - modern at 9 and old time at 10:30.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM

835 posts, read 2,878,271 times
Wake Forest Baptist Church, a little out of your way, but they're music was the more traditonal hymm style music when we visited 3 years ago searching for a church home. With 3 teenager kids, it definately wasn't for us, but...

Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
My Mom and I are looking for a church in Cary or within 20 minutes of Cary that sings the old hymns<>
Try Ernest Myatt Presbyterian on 401. Bringing in the Oldies.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 AM

677 posts, read 1,904,019 times
Not sure about a church (ours has a mix of old and new) but you can hear oldtime hymns every Sunday morning on WPTF 680 am at 6:00 a.m.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Many area churches offer both a "traditional" service and a "contemporary" service. Check church websites for info.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Many area churches offer both a "traditional" service and a "contemporary" service. Check church websites for info.
I do check websites for "traditional" services. These are the ones we've been going to. At one "traditional" service, the pastor played the drums!

I'm not a church going person. I believe it's how you live throughout the week not how much you praise the Lord on the Sabbath that makes for a good Christian. But my mother gets a lot of comfort from a church service. So I thought we'd give it a go.

I will call churches this week instead of relying on website information.

Thanks a million for all the suggestions.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I am not a churchgoer but I know so many "older" folks, especially musicians, who feel your pain! An organist friend of ours finally left his church of many years, in large part because they were moving towards "rock and roll" sorts of music and away from the hymnal he came along with.

He now takes substitute jobs in various churches, and one that he really liked specifically because of their "old style" music was a "black" church--indeed he says those are more traditional in many ways. I don't know what of that sort is in Cary, but this one he had worked at was the First Baptist in downtown Raleigh--the red brick one (note that there are TWO "First Baptist" churches right on Capitol square, the "traditionally white" one and the "traditionally black" one. This is the red brick one across from the Southeast corner of the Capitol).
A lot of "black" churches are going through the same thing. My church organist quit for the same reason. A lot of churches are kind of moving away from hymns across the board, and a lot of the 45-and-under crowd doesn't like them. We still sing ONE hymn on Sundays, but they brought in drums and bass guitars for more contemporary music. I can't say that I miss them...but my mom does.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-22-2011 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary