Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,445 times

Advertisements

I have been admitted at Illinois institute of technology in chicago and also at NCSU in Raleigh. I know that NCSU in my feld(Electrical Engineering) has very better rank but the city is so important to me. Please help me in this ase that If you were me which one you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 05:25 AM

122 posts, read 431,721 times
I have recently retired--having worked in Chicago and lived in Cary for the past 8 years. I worked in Hoffman Estates and went downtown every few weeks. The culture in Chicago is outstanding--restaurants, art, baseball, etc.

There are two points about Chicago that one needs to consider. Many have mentioned the winter and it is a "bear." Mid-November through March are a major drawback. Housing costs are much more; you can do the financial comparison.

So where did I retire? Right here in Cary. Summers are very hot, but no comparison to the discomfort of a Chicago winter. Plus we have beach and mountains nearby.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,057 times
is this for undergrad or graduate school?

Where do you plan to live upon completing the program?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Don't overlook out of state NCSU tuition until you have 12 months NC residence.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,881 times
Housing costs in Chicago are pretty affordable compared to places like New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, Boston ETC. I've never lived there but I've visited many times and think it's a great city.

Have you visited IIT? It is not in the greatest part of town. There are some pretty rough neighborhoods near there. If you want to live somewhere where you feel comfortable walking around any time, you'll probably want to live elsewhere and ride the L.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,080 times
IIT is a very well regarded institution. The immediate surrounding area is an area in transition and has struggled with the housing crisis. Housing costs within walking distance are low, but crime is a potential problem. If you live out of the neighborhood then you'll have more expenses for a car or L transportation.

The prime neighborhoods of Chicago are quite a distance from IIT without a car.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,445 times
Thank you for helping me. I have to mention that I am an International student and I have been admitted for graduate (MSc). Since I am far away from my family and friends I want to live in a city that I can substitute them with friendly people and other entertainments. And the other major point is that I can find a job in that city easily after my graduation (definitely in my field-Electrical Engineering). About the fees as the universities declared they are the same.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Where are you from?

There are large populations of Indian and Chinese students at NCSU. Don't know if that's helpful info or not.

I doubt anyone could predict whether either city would have jobs that are easily available upon graduation. That's going to depend on the state of the economy after you graduate.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
If your program is more highly regarded at NC State, I don't know that I could find a reason otherwise to attend IIT. While Raleigh isn't nearly the size of Chicago, it's a very nice place to live and is growing rapidly. The weather during the school term (essentially Sept.-May) is MUCH better than it is in Chicago and it's easy to meet people and establish a life. It's also affordable and safe. However, it's not a dense urban city of millions of people and I am not sure if you will find a substantial community of people that are a cultural match outside of, perhaps, Chinese or Indian.
Any additional information you might have for us would help is in our guidance. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:29 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
I graduated from NC State's School of Design in 1991. I hold a great deal of respect for the school. It is very progressive and remains on the cutting edge of many technologies.

Raleigh isn't Chicago, however the Triangle area is very university-oriented and boasts a large young population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary